News: Queen Mary Could Capsize If Urgent Repairs Aren't Made

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

News: Queen Mary Could Capsize If Urgent Repairs Aren't Made

Post by FlyTexas »

Very sad. She deserves better. :(
https://youtu.be/gE8L7hTw_QY

Brian

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: News: Queen Mary Could Capsize If Urgent Repairs Aren't Made

Post by Nigel H-J »

Very sad to hear this, if it is true that the Queen Mary is rotting away and is not making any money then it may well just fall further and further into dis-repair then what?

Strip her bare and auction what can be salvaged before it is turned into junk? Or will some-one come along with a big fat cheque to see her through?

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

When I was a kid I had a ViewMaster 3-reel set of a tour of the Queen Mary and I loved looking at all the 3D images taken inside and outside the vessel.

She was a beauty when still sailing the seas with the state rooms and public spaces very opulent and rich looking. Even the crew areas and engine room were spotless (cleaned especially for the photo-shoot no doubt) and the engine looked like it was brand new.

Sad to see her in this state now.
Larry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Perhaps the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would like to contribute?

:dunno:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

511Flyer wrote:
24 May 2021, 15:21
Perhaps the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would like to contribute?

:dunno:
:lol: :lol: :thumbsup: I thought they lost their Royal titles once they said adios to the Royal family. :dunno:

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

We were discussing the future of the Queen Mary on a Facebook group not so long ago. Much to my surprise, there is a heavy-lift ship large enough to carry her home, and enough disused dry docks on the Clyde to sit her in. I hope it happens rather than her be scrapped.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Paul K wrote:
24 May 2021, 16:22
We were discussing the future of the Queen Mary on a Facebook group not so long ago. Much to my surprise, there is a heavy-lift ship large enough to carry her home, and enough disused dry docks on the Clyde to sit her in. I hope it happens rather than her be scrapped.
That would be great! :) I recently read that the powers to be were considering towing her to dry dock (if they could find the funds) for the much needed repairs. The news article said that there were concerns that she might sink while being towed. :( Back in the early 70's I had the pleasure of seeing the Queen Mary in Long Beach. I was amazed by the sheer size of her. :)

Brian

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I thought they lost their Royal titles once they said adios to the Royal family. :dunno:
Not yet as they still are Duke and Duchess but hopefully it will be taken away from them and do not get any-more tax payers money. :rant:

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

So sad, that's what you get when you let Colonists get their hands on Royalty. (Duke of Windsor etc.)

The ginger git should have known better too. Should have listened to his father, or Prince Charles. :poke:

As a lad I knew the last Chief Engineer of the Queen Mary. I believe he retired after the last voyage to Long Beach.

A Scot - of course. Dilithium crystals had nothing on the QM boilers.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I know this'll make me sound old, but I saw the Queen Mary while she was in service. An uncle was employed at Fawley refinery, and we went down for a visit. While there, we went on a tour of Southampton Water, and sailed right down the side of QM. I remember the enormous black hull, and a little old lady next to me, waving a white handkerchief up at the liner's passengers. I also remember a liner tied up astern of QM, with a lavender coloured hull, which I learned much later must have been one of Union Castle's ships.