Oh my cod indeed......

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Oh my cod indeed......

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 07:47
Not forgetting to add the scrumps to it. :agree:

Regards
Nigel
I'm guessing that you are referring to all the fried bits of batter that float around in the oil. If so, I'm sure we called them 'scraps'.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I'm guessing that you are referring to all the fried bits of batter that float around in the oil. If so, I'm sure we called them 'scraps'.

Kevin
That's it Kevin, knew it was called something else but could not remember. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Nigel H-J wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 12:34

Kevin
That's it Kevin, knew it was called something else but could not remember. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I have always called them "scraps" - but I have heard folk from out of town call them "bits."

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Scraps up here too, I’m not a fan though. I’m just a salt on my fish and chips, it’s all I have salt with tbh… oh, and good mushy peas. Best place is Longsands Fish Kitchen in Tynemouth which I’d say is better than Coleman’s in South Shields… and that’s saying something.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

No real name for them here in the US. There's a certain restaurant chain here which calls them "crumblies". I'm pretty sure that's just their name for them. Either way, delicious little nuggets. :)

Brian

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

TSR2 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 23:34
oh, and good mushy peas.
As long they're proper mushy peas! I've watched Gordon Ramsey on more than one occasion serve up what he called 'mushy peas', only to dish up crushed green peas - so wrong!
My Dad liked mushy peas (which he called 'grey farters') so much he would make his own. Dried marrowfat peas are soaked overnight in bicarb solution. They're then drained and rinsed, before simmering in water until mushy. Season and serve.

Kevin

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Something I never knew regarding the vinegar that goes with your chips!!

Could this be why chips taste differently from that of the days of the fifties and sixties that I remember so well? *-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=642x2Y3Zla0

Regards
Nigel.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Kevin I remember my parents doing the same thing! They were known as soakey peas(the peas that is not the parents!) :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 12:56
Something I never knew regarding the vinegar that goes with your chips!!

Could this be why chips taste differently from that of the days of the fifties and sixties that I remember so well? *-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=642x2Y3Zla0

Regards
Nigel.
Whilst I'm absolutely disgusted that chip shops are serving synthetic vinegar, I think that the real reason chips don't taste like they used to is that they are now cooked in vegetable oil. The flavour that you remember is because chips used to be cooked in beef fat - vegetarians have a lot to answer for!

Going back to vinegar, many years back I had a French girlfriend. We drove over to stay with her parents and one evening went on to visit her uncle and aunt. In my 'honour', her aunt had cooked chicken and chips. My girlfriend told her aunt that in the UK we had vinegar on our chips. Her aunt immediately went to the kitchen and came back with a bottle of red wine vinegar. Out of politeness, I put a little on my chips but it was no match for a good splash of malt vinegar.

Kevin

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Whilst I'm absolutely disgusted that chip shops are serving synthetic vinegar, I think that the real reason chips don't taste like they used to is that they are now cooked in vegetable oil. The flavour that you remember is because chips used to be cooked in beef fat - vegetarians have a lot to answer for!
Kevin, many thanks for the explanation now I don't need to wonder why chips don't taste as they did. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.