Speedy delivery!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Speedy delivery!

Post by Chris Trott »

Looks like a promising start there Mike! Can't wait to see what tangents this takes you on for little "do-dads" that you can now make.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Looking good, Mike! :thumbsup:

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Interesting! Keep the progress reports coming, Mike.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I'll come back to the full-sized work soon.
Meanwhile, over 20 years ago, I made a 1/72nd scale Airfix Chipmunk.
It lost its undercarriage during our move here.
Hot off the press today, this is one of two new legs printed.
This is about generation 5, tweaking the parts to minimise problems with overhangs, which result in a fair bit of "wool" appearing when it tries to print in mid air :lol: :doh:
What I've tried here, is making the lowest part of the leg, with axle, separate to the faired strut. The faired strut has an accommodating hole up the centre to take the leg, plus a stud on top to fit into the wing underside.
It's printed in transparent filament only because that's loaded in the printer at present.
The other problem is that the machine has to create a pad to stick the item to the work table.
Large items aren't a problem, but a 1mm diameter leg is hard to separate from the pad when your eyes aren't so great, or fingers as nimble as they once were. :worried:
Wheels print nicely, but have chocks built in! Placing the wheel up on a little post, to clear the pad, means that the bottom of the tyre is again trying to print in mid air, making "wool" (my term for it).
Anyhow, here's the pic:
leg7thJuly.png
(188.89 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Trouble getting 10mm high object in focus, sorry. And it has to be physically cleaned up.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Tried my first instrument case last night.
I left the settings on fine, which made the whole process a lot longer than needed. (I'm still only just learning)
I drew the Artificial Horizon case in TINKERCAD, a simpler programme than Blender, but suitable because the case is simple.
Here's some progress pics:
Earlier today, showing the internal support matrix
This evening, when it was putting the lid on
Straight off the printer, not cleaned up yet, alongside the real one. They are identical sizes, but the print is closer to the camera.
The control panel, showing that it took 23 hours plus to do
This is to go in the cockpit replica; I don't want my real stuff being knocked about.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

OK, that eye pad and the conical plug that I made earlier, are now fitted properly to the Recorder Drift Sight.
It had been sloshed with so many coats of paint, that I took the highly unusual step of stripping it and repainting.
Now it's all back together with its 3D "rubber" bits, and has been added to the on line museum, (8 photos).
Here's a shot showing the unit:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Just like the joys of motoring and the joys of owning your own house; 3D printing has its own.
Started a print yesterday afternoon.
Woke at 0230 hours, and decided to check progress. Found that the filament had broken at the feed gear, and the printer was busily going through the motions about 15mm above the last bit it had managed to print. Cut the power.
It has a re-start option, but of course, it tries to restart from where it was when the power was cut: 15mm above the work.
Decided to give it a different job today; the collimator bulb holder at the bottom of the reflector gunsight. Originals of the sights are available at Spitfire Spares, if you have £3,000. My cockpit has a cobbled together version, but I'm hoping that the 3D print will look more like the goods.