Best Wishes, Condolences, and Good Luck.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Best Wishes, Condolences, and Good Luck.

Post by Airspeed »

TSR2 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 09:17
Nobody said they were useless Mike, but for medics and the ill (or those at high risk). For the general population they may give some a sense of comfort too. I’ve no objection to wearing one in a shop if it makes other feel more comfortable.
The person in the video said "there is no reason for people walking around wearing a mask".Does he think they are useful? No. Oh, "but they may stop one droplet" That stopped droplet may be just the one that would have infected the wearer. If we don't have a medical exemption, we get fined for not wearing a mask.
We in Australia are being constantly reminded that the Delta strain of COVID19 is easily passed on by briefly passing an infected person in the street.
That's why they are "deep cleaning" every known location visited by those NSW furniture removalists.

And don't get me started on that British bitch who was just deported from Australia. She was going to prove that lockdown is the biggest hoax by answering her quarantine room door naked, and without a mask. HTF does that prove anything apart from her stupidity?

What started as a goodwill message has instead raised the mask/no mask argument. I fail to see the reason for opposition to this inoffensive safety measure, and happily wear a fresh one every time I leave the house.

Coughs and sneezes spread diseases as they (at least used to,) say. :rant:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

He’s the lead American expert on disease control Mike, not some random on YouTube.
I will continue to wear one if it makes others feel more comfortable, not because it makes a difference medically unless you are a medic or vulnerable. It’s surprising is it not that in some of the poorest places on earth, the refugee camps, where, like everywhere else, the virus has spread, yet most people are fine. With no medical care or vaccines. One might expect with people living in such close quarters and without basic sanitation, such a disease would wipe out most of the population… yet it hasn’t. Our family friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer in Jan2020 and is also a nurse has just completed her chemotherapy. No jabs, weakened immune system and both her son and husband had Covid earlier this year. And she didn’t get it. Any loss of life is tragic and a huge ordeal for those left behind. It doesn’t matter the cause. The droplet analogy is a good one. We drink, we smoke, we drive too fast, we take risks. Everyday, someone does something that they consider a slight risk. Crossing the road for example. And every day someone gets run over crossing the road. My point is it’s a choice. There are respirator type face coverings for those that are so concerned, and they are free to use them. Or maybe an NBC style suit? Where do we draw the line? Life is full or risks. Embrace them and enjoy the freedoms we have been afforded in a respectful way, and that includes others rights to choose not to wear a mask.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

It's curious that my son in law contracted Covid 19, but my daughter ( his wife ) didn't, even though she was living in the same house, same bed etc. She tested negative twice. She had the vaccine in order to be able to travel over to the UK.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Tomliner wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 07:49
I also think about the breathing in of my own exhaled Co2 which can’t be good over an extended period. *-) EricT
As a Scientist (I hold a Degree in Chemistry and a Masters Degree in Medicinal Chemistry),I can assure you that your fears over re-inhaling your exhaled CO2 (you said 'Co2' which would be di-Cobalt and that can't exist on it's own) due to wearing a mask are largely unfounded. The mask will be extremely permeable to gasses, which are absolutely miniscule in comparison to the size of a virus. Breathing large amounts of CO2 is a serious risk, but the amount retained in a mask is minimal.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Seriously Ben. The person in the video, Dr Fauci is indeed a true expert but that interview was done early last year, before we really understood how dangerous this virus is and before it had spread much in the US. Will masks and vaccines make you 100% safe, of course not but you are much much safer with them that without. While I am not going to put a motive on anyone person but this has really become a political football and its very sad because all the misinformation about mask and vaccines being unnecessary or ineffective is killing people.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... rings.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... efits.html
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

blanston12 wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 01:22
Seriously Ben. The person in the video, Dr Fauci is indeed a true expert but that interview was done early last year, before we really understood how dangerous this virus is and before it had spread much in the US. Will masks and vaccines make you 100% safe, of course not but you are much much safer with them that without. While I am not going to put a motive on anyone person but this has really become a political football and its very sad because all the misinformation about mask and vaccines being unnecessary or ineffective is killing people.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... rings.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... efits.html
Thanks for pointing out that this point of view is long out of date, Joe.
I was going to check the date last night, but I'd already turned off the modem and computer, and it takes a while for everything to come back on line.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi chaps,

I just watched the video on my phone, I didn't post it. I take your point on the date though.

My point was we can all protect ourselves if we choose to. I choose to wear a mask, not for me, but because some people are afraid of those not wearing masks(which is a sad state of affairs). If you are worried, wear a mask. If your not, don't. You can only look after yourself and only you know how safe or otherwise you feel.

As for the jabs, again, that's personal preference. There are plenty of double jabbed people who have caught covid. Similarly there are people with no jabs who haven't caught it. There is no black and white on this. You need to do as you see fit and what you feel best protects you. You cannot allow for others.

My mantra on life has always come from "the Great Gig in the Sky" for as long as I could play records.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Friends

Nothing has changed with regard to masks and their ability to stop the transference of pathogens. (microorganism).

Confirmed ( unwittingly) by fauci when he suggested wearing 2 masks would be better, or make people"feel" better or safer.
Why?
Because one mask doesn't stop the spread of microorganisms.
If they did, why suggest 2?

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

airboatr wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 17:59
Friends

Nothing has changed with regard to masks and their ability to stop the transference of pathogens. (microorganism).

Confirmed ( unwittingly) by fauci when he suggested wearing 2 masks would be better, or make people"feel" better or safer.
Why?
Because one mask doesn't stop the spread of microorganisms.
If they did, why suggest 2?
Are you implying that unless something is 100% perfect we should do nothing at all? Seatbelt will not always prevent you from getting injured in a car accident, but can reduce the chance and can reduce the injury if an accident does happen, so should we stop wearing seatbelts?

With the virus the severity of the illness is related to the number of germs you breath in, if you have a mask on you get fewer germs and therefore more likely to have a less severe reaction. But we are talking about probabilities, everything I have read said using a mask reduces your chance of being infected by 80%, so if that math holds and a second mask reduces by that same percent then your at 96%.

As far as I am concerned, don't wear a mask to make me feel safer, wear because you want to keep yourself and your family safer and to slow the spread of this disease.

We are all friends here and this is a topic where there are strong feelings I hope we all can discuss it without taking anything personally. So for now I have said my piece and will refrain from further comment.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Joe,

It's difficult to believe Fauci's protestations when I see examples of this.

The entire matter Is political
Going all the way back to 2014 When Dr. Fauci funded the Wuhan lab gain of function bat coronavirus study