Morayvia Museum in Scotland.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Morayvia Museum in Scotland.

Post by FlyTexas »

TSR2 wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 14:23
No worries chaps, all sorted now.
But now they're in reverse order! :hide: ;)

Brian

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Look at it like... Starting a new career, Brian
Start at the bottom and work your way up.
:)
Hi Ben,
Thanks for posting the pictures. :thumbsup:

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Can I just second Ben's recommendation? Morayvia has loads of great objects, engines and partial or whole airframes as well as some great volunteers with a lot of good stories. I love the fact that it is a hands-on place, you can get up close to a lot of stuff and even inside them. One of only a few places where you can visit a Valiant cockpit. Last time I was there the 'new' shed was still under construction, I see that this has been finished now and I also spotted some new exhibits on your photos Ben. :thumbsup:
Attachments
DSC_8848_resize.jpg
DSC_8848_resize.jpg (230.2 KiB) Viewed 500 times
DSC_8840_resize.jpg
DSC_8840_resize.jpg (197.52 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Great shots Jelle! They have that old school now in there own name which is great. The best option they would like would be to get part of the airfield and hangers, but the defence procurement agency are a nightmare and think it’s worth a fortune. Another option is to extend the current site south apparently. They’ve done a brilliant job in a relatively short space of time and seem to know what they’re doing wrt getting funds and setting up as a community company.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

They certainly have lots of plans, but they appear to have the means and drive to see them come true too. In 2019 they were planning to mount the Vulcan nose against the new building at such a height that it would allow the entry door to be opened so that it too can be inspected on the inside. I'm all for that :excited:
DSC_8820 by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Really great photographs Ben and those shots of inside the Valiant are just perfect. :thumbsup: As it happens I have the book 'Valiant Boys' by Tony Blackman and Anthony Wright and it is a brilliant read, I only wish that museum was a bit nearer even though Newark Air Museum is only about 15 miles from where I live.

Strangely enough I have always thought that the Valiant was the better looking aircraft out of the three with the Victor looking the meanest!! Now where does that leave the Vulcan? When at Scampton and the Vulcan was about a mile away turning but at ninety degrees from where you stood it actually took on the look of the Concorde and that was said quite a few times at Scampton!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Yes some good photos here. If I’m ever up that way I’ll try to look in. Nigel I agree that the Victor is the most evil looking of the trio. Not sure why but it always brings to mind the old Flash Gordon films.
With regard to the Valiant, I recall some while ago reading the biography of Sir George Edwards of Vickers which was very interesting.
Tony Blackman is also the author of a number of aviation related works of fiction. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!