New Rules Coming for the Highway Code!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

New Rules Coming for the Highway Code!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Walking and biking prioritised against the motorist, as far as this goes is it going to be a good or bad thing?

I am yet undecided, for example when approaching a give way/ stop junction and there are pedestrians waiting to cross I have always allowed them through then slowly driven up to the give way/stop line. Equally when turning off from a main road with a 40mph speed limit and there are pedestrians waiting to cross the road I am turning onto I am reluctant to stop and give way due to fast moving traffic approaching from behind, I have no control over vehicles behind me and have in the past nearly been hit due to their impatience and refusal to slow down whilst I clear the main road.

Secondly, I have always respected cyclists and of their vulnerability however I am a bit confused as to 'Giving cyclists priority at junctions when travelling straight ahead'. :dunno: Please some-one explain this to me in lay mans terms as I have always held back behind a cyclist when I have needed to exit the main road at a junction or when turning right onto a main road have never turned in front of a cyclist!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: New Rules Coming for the Highway Code!

Post by 511Flyer »

Perhaps if cyclists paid to use the roads, they could expect more concessions? I do of course realise that many cyclists are also motorists.

On the roads around the part of Surrey where I live, there are lots of cyclists especially at weekends. I've heard lots of abuse hurled at motorists from cyclists who object to horns being sounded. The horn is used to warn others of approaching traffic, so why object to that? The motorist is expected to give the cyclists room, but many of them riding two abreast, leave no room for the motorist.

I have a dashcam fitted in my car, and some of the worst incidents I've seen involve cyclists. It's a dangerous exercise.

OMIL :rant:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: New Rules Coming for the Highway Code!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Perhaps if cyclists paid to use the roads, they could expect more concessions? I do of course realise that many cyclists are also motorists.

On the roads around the part of Surrey where I live, there are lots of cyclists especially at weekends. I've heard lots of abuse hurled at motorists from cyclists who object to horns being sounded. The horn is used to warn others of approaching traffic, so why object to that? The motorist is expected to give the cyclists room, but many of them riding two abreast, leave no room for the motorist.

I have a dashcam fitted in my car, and some of the worst incidents I've seen involve cyclists. It's a dangerous exercise.

OMIL :rant:
I was a bit concerned writing about cyclists but after your post which I agree 100% here goes!! A few days ago we were out in the car driving on a narrow unclassified road where a cyclist was riding in the direction I was driving so slowed down and kept a reasonable distance from him so as not to cause him any anxiety, could not pass due to bends and also on-coming cars and it was some time before I was able to overtake safely, I was at this point really annoyed as we had passed a number of entrances to properties and he did not have the courtesy just to pull in and allow me to pass, it would only take a few seconds off his journey whereas mine had increased an extra 4 mins. Another annoying thing is that there are some cycle lanes in-between 2 villages where the road is not as wide, quite a few cyclists still ride on the road which means that they are putting themselves more at risk than riding in the lanes provided for them!! :rant: I think that if any cyclist is injured by a vehicle and there was a cycle lane which they did not use then they should be fined regardless!!

I too have a dash cam that covers both front and rear, would not be without one.

Unfortunately these rules coming in are going to go to bikers and pedestrian heads and some may just walk out straight in front of oncoming cars without thinking and expecting them to stop suddenly as quite a few pedestrians probably do not even drive so have very little road awareness if any at all.

Rant over.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.