Tridents...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

If you are referring to G-AWZM at Wroughton its indoors has been since 1985 or 86 whenevr they got it. AFAIK its untouched and they dont allow people onboard it. I think at one point Neil and I did discuss the practicalities of getting it flying, but the costs and red tape would be similar to those of the Vulcan and its going to be hard enough for them to manage it - and with arguably a more iconic aircraft.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Oh I thought he was talking about Papa Hotel.
Shouldnt be to hard to make it taxiable would it?
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I am totally confused now :madhead:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Never mind... I keep forgetting that PH is now scrap metal. :sad:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

No mate, Zulu Mike that I was talking about.
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

Garry Russell wrote:Mark

On the tail of that I would just like to repeat a point I made earlier

That we should be grateful for the years that BA have kept them there.

It is a shame how it has been done but they would have been gone long ago had it not been for the money spent.

The Science Museum have the Trident Three G-AWZM at Wroughton.

Garry
Agreed, let's face it they didn't have to save anything.

It should also remind people that preserved doesn't mean saved forever, and if a particular group are pleading for money or volunteers and you care about these things, why not do something about it?

I know there have been charityware cd's made or proposed for Air Atlantique and the Trident group, perhaps this could be a good way of getting in more money for smaller outfits? It's something I'm involved in with train-sim for an Irish preservation group, and a five figure sum was raised by UK train-simmers towards the restoration of a unique British diesel by the sale of charityware cd's, so it's a good way of making even a small sum of money.

Ollie Suckling
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Ollie Suckling »

Does anyone out there have any pictures of the trident at wroughton? Inside or out, i guess it is in mint condition.

Ollie

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Mark I think that it is very unfair of you to suggest that I don't do anything about it. I am a proud member of the Catalina society and I am soon going to be joining the Spitfire society.

I am a student just now and so therefore have a limited budget. The Museum of Flight, where I'd be more than happy to volunteer is an hour and a half drive away from me and without a car is pretty much impossible to give any practical help, much as I'd love to.

I was planning to help the Air Atlantique fund by purchasing the flightsim planes, but the project seems to have been cancelled.

As for the Trident, I am hoping to join their society (If they have one) when I go down to see their Trident in all it's glory at Manchester in June. I am also planning to see the Trident 2 at Duxford.

I am just as passionate about these aircraft as any other person on here, and when I complete my studies, I will be very much availiable to the Museum of Flight.

And when I do, I can assure you that I will be the first one in, the first to answer any questions from the public and the last one out.[/quote]
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

britishtourer wrote:Mark I think that it is very unfair of you to suggest that I don't do anything about it. I am a proud member of the Catalina society and I am soon going to be joining the Spitfire society.
No-one was suggesting you personally were not doing anything to support preservation. I was talking generally. Note my use of the generic noun "people" not "britishtourer" or "people like britishtourer"
It should also remind people that preserved doesn't mean saved forever, and if a particular group are pleading for money or volunteers and you care about these things, why not do something about it?
We all know there are a large number of enthusiasts in any field that are great at pontificating on what should or shouldn't be done but very slow in coming forward to do anything practical in support. It doesn't matter if it's old planes, trains or buses, the active preservationists are always small in number and permanently scratting round for money, yet there are millions who will pay thousands of pounds for books and videos, or spend hours photographing restored vehicles and aircraft without contributing a brass clet to their upkeep. The fact you are putting some of your limited resources where your interests lie is to be commended. I too am on a restricted income following premature ill-health retirement but I try my best to support pet projects, unfortunately not as much as I would like, but like you I make the effort. I'm also in a fortunate position of having some abilities and skills that enable me to make a non-financial contribution, like the charityware trainsim cd I'm involved in.

Unfortunately though we both know that there are many more who don't even though they are better placed than many to contribute, although I imagine there is a higher proportion of active supporters both in terms of physical work and financial here than would normally be the case.