Very Smart! (56k Warning)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

From the video I would think that at least the drivers legs are broken. How much do they sell these things for.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

blanston12 wrote:From the video I would think that at least the drivers legs are broken. How much do they sell these things for.
I can't see a driver in it Joe. I thought it was being remotely operated (note the following vehicle, which probably has control of it) :think:

As far as prices go, they are not very expensive to buy in the UK. Probably cheaper in other parts of Europe. Do they not have them in the US?
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

I remember seeing that video, its from Top-gear (as many of you probably suspected). They went on afterwards to suggest that even though the car (sorta) survived, the impact would have been enough to kill anyone inside instantly.

I have to say I absolutely despise Smart Cars! Especialy when your trying to park your car, you THINK you see an empty space, try to drive into it to find theres this little dinky toy sat there already!

Reminds me of about 3 days ago when I took my mum's car out for her to park it in the garage; I got in it and could barely move inside (its a Suzuki Alto) it was THAT small!
Much prefer my car even if it is harder to park! :lol:

Cheers,
Andy M.

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

Anyway, if we're on the subject of small cars... the mighty Bond Bug!

And this thing...
http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/subaru360.html

There's a whole club of Americans who drive nothing but those Subarus...
Last edited by Vixus on 30 Apr 2006, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Those Subaru's looks like modern versions of the old FIAT 500's

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

The Bond bugs were cool but I would'nt like to be seen in one. Not without a balaclava on at least! :smile:

As for the Subaru I'm getting a 404 error on the link. :think:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

VEGAS wrote:
blanston12 wrote:From the video I would think that at least the drivers legs are broken. How much do they sell these things for.
I can't see a driver in it Joe. I thought it was being remotely operated (note the following vehicle, which probably has control of it) :think:
Your right, there was no driver in the car, but if there had been one, I think at a minimum, the drivers legs would have been broken.
VEGAS wrote:As far as prices go, they are not very expensive to buy in the UK. Probably cheaper in other parts of Europe. Do they not have them in the US?
No they don't sell them here, guess they don't think americans would buy them, but I think with the price of petrol shooting up they would sell quite well. I found there US website
http://www.smartcar-usa.com/ but it really quite useless.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Perhaps if they did a SMART car with a thumping V8 then perhaps the Americans would love it!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Actually, in the US, the 4-cylinder's have been selling quite well. Remember, the biggest market share today is with Honda and Toyota. The largest engines they built until they introduced their truck lines were V6s and even those were small by US automotive standards. Heck, the new Chevy Colorado has a 5-cylinder engine.

I get 20MPG on my Blazer, which is a lot better than it used to be, and that's a small-block VORTEC V-6. I'm thinking about going to a hybrid or fuel-cell TrailBlazer or Equinox when I get this one paid off in a few years though. They've got some pretty neat features on both if they are produced as the prototypes are built.
Last edited by Chris Trott on 30 Apr 2006, 16:09, edited 3 times in total.

andy

Post by andy »

20MPG.............. I've not suffered that since I drove a Volvo 240.

Even my 4x4 does 30MPG. (Locally). :wink: