Very Smart! (56k Warning)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

What 4x4 are you driving? Not even our Range Rovers and Land Rovers (exactly the same as the British version) get 30MPG.

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

hehe i get 65 Miles to the Gallon....upto 115 has been seen!

:dance:
Andy M.

andy

Post by andy »

Chris Trott wrote:What 4x4 are you driving? Not even our Range Rovers and Land Rovers (exactly the same as the British version) get 30MPG.
Frontera petrol. Its better than the diesel Land rovers. :wink:

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

andy wrote:
Chris Trott wrote:What 4x4 are you driving? Not even our Range Rovers and Land Rovers (exactly the same as the British version) get 30MPG.
Frontera petrol. Its better than the diesel Land rovers. :wink:
That does depend entirely on how you define 'better' :poke: :lol:

andy

Post by andy »

thehappyotter wrote:
That does depend entirely on how you define 'better' :poke: :lol:
From my point of view, and bearing in mind that this is a second vehicle,....
Initial purchase price is lower.
Servicing costs are a lot lower.
Insurance is lower.
Fuel consumption is lower.
There is more space in the back of it for my dogs.

I drove Land Rovers for 12 years in the forces, and never did feel comfortable or indeed safe in them.

Unusually for todays vehicles, there's room under the bonnet for easy access. :wink:

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Don't know what the accelaration of the Smart car is like, but I have been passed by more than one on the M1. That doesn't mean I hang around - so the Smart was doing around 80+mph. Not something I would be doing in a plastic box.

And I have just come back from a business trip to Konstanz in Germany - quite a lot of Smart cars around and several parking sideways on in the gaps between parked cars. Great! you leave a gap to make sure that you can get out and then find a Smart car there.

But in a local car park there a pair of them parked in one parking space, so that at leaves one spare.

Ian

andy

Post by andy »

I hear that Sainsbury's are getting a fleet of them. You put a £1 coin in them, and drive around the aisles to get your shopping. :lol:

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

ianhind wrote:the Smart was doing around 80+mph. Not something I would be doing in a plastic box.
Ian
Actually Ian, the SMART car is one of the safest cars on the planet. As shown in the video the whole 'cell' or shell seems to flex rather than crumple, so it seems to bounce back off whatever it hits.

I know the car scored highly in European NCAP safety tests which surprised me, as I too, thought these things were death traps. It appears not.

However the bottom line is. Any sort of collision at 70mph+ would stand you a very high chance of a place in the harp farm. :roll:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I must admit, all this talk, I just went onto the Chevrolet website and changed my mind. The new Chevy HHR (a retro delivery-van looking vehicle) now has my fancy and gets about 25-30MPG. With diesel being as expensive as gasoline here, it really doesn't matter which you get, it's gonna be expensive. :sad:

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Chris Trott wrote:I must admit, all this talk, I just went onto the Chevrolet website and changed my mind. The new Chevy HHR (a retro delivery-van looking vehicle) now has my fancy and gets about 25-30MPG. With diesel being as expensive as gasoline here, it really doesn't matter which you get, it's gonna be expensive. :sad:
Just seen em on-line. They look pretty cool mate. Go for it!

Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image