Rescue copters private bids plan

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

andy

Rescue copters private bids plan

Post by andy »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4753961.stm

Good idea.........or bad egg?
On the one hand it will save tax payers money............or will it. Will the MOD lose part of the budget for this? Or will the money be spent elsewhere.

On the other hand, it is yet more reduction in our armed forces.
A loss of expertise. Would a civilian rescue service launch in the sort of weather conditions that the current guys do?

I was based at Lossiemouth for three years. I saw those guys launch in weather conditions where I wouldn't have opened the front door. :think: :dunno:

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Silly idea, but it's going to happen... :roll:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

True Charlie

Seems Blair is hell bent on privatising EVERYTHING -- I thought that was a
Conservative trait?????. Personally I cant see it - dumb question - can one sue the RAF if someone is injured in a rescue??? you can see where I am going with this

Leif

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Another discrace. Why don't they outsource everything. That way only those who have the money can get the service. Its a swizz.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Don't understand it

if the Government can save money by paying a private company to do it who will want to make a profit then the Government can do it a lot cheaper than it does now.

Also being RAF it can fall back on the large fleet and support and spares pool that bring the unit costs down.

So why not replace the Seaking with a rescue version of whatever is in the main fleet of the future.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Dont think this is a good idea... cant see private companies providing the levels of discipline, training and professionalism you are going to get in the armed forces. I thought that most of these SAR helicopters were mainly used to rescue service personnel in difficulties and civilians when necessary? Would this mean a private company was responsible for retrieving downed aircrews or naval/marine personnel in difficulties in small craft etc ?

andy

Post by andy »

The British Forces are not allowed to charge for their services, so all costs are down to the taxpayer...........................but a civillian rescue service would be a different matter.

Better upgrade your personal insurance before you go sailing, or mountain climbing.

Come to think of it, if some dilbert decides to go up a mountain in bad weather..............why shouldn't he pay to be rescued. :dunno: :wink:

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TobyVickers wrote:Dont think this is a good idea... cant see private companies providing the levels of discipline, training and professionalism you are going to get in the armed forces. I thought that most of these SAR helicopters were mainly used to rescue service personnel in difficulties and civilians when necessary?
I think Tonks with his "hunting" experience may be more qualified to answer this, but as far I as I'm aware the primary duty of RAF search and rescue is to rescue service personnel (generally who've just earned their MB tie), and others where possible.

The fact that presumably civil crews/personnel could strike and/or tell you to "naff off" if they didn't fancy a job (in a force 8 gale etc) is another matter...
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

Toby is spot on.

I have seen what can & can't be done with SAR and there is no civvie
unit with half the skills of the current crews.

Where is a civvie going to learn it all.

Being a heli pilot is 20% of what they need.
the rest can only be learned in the RN or RAF & poss Army F Corps.

Hey but i can't think of one good idea from Blair so i don't suppose this will make a blind bit of difference and he will go ahead anyway.

Regards
Rick

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Rick Piper wrote:Hey but i can't think of one good idea from Blair so i don't suppose this will make a blind bit of difference and he will go ahead anyway.

Regards
Rick
The only thing he had which was a good idea was detaining terrorist suspects for 90 days and of course that was the one that got thrown out of parliament just so Blair would lose a vote for the first time :doh: Never mind, it was only national security at stake, nowt important :roll: Politicians, dont you just love 'em :lol: