Being a lefty...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DelP
The Gurus

Being a lefty...

Post by DelP »

Hi Folks,

A few recent posts elsewhere on this site have brought to my attention the 'stigma' of being left-handed.

Being a leftie myself, and proud of it, I find such comments derogatory..after all, lefties have a 3D spacial awareness that is sadly lacking in 'others'.

All tools are right-handed..as are breadknives and scissors..not to mention vernier calipers and rules...and any attempt to find alternatives at so-called 'Left-Handed' sites are a waste of time.....

I've started this thread so that other Left-Handed members of this Forum may voice their opinions without fear of ridicule..comments from other-handed members are welcome.

Best wishes,

Derek :tuttut:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Well Del

To start the ball rolling........I hear, or at least it has been said that lefthanded folks are more intellegent.

I am right handed so that explains that one, or at least now I have an excuse.

But I eat and stir in a lefthanded fashion.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Garry Russell wrote:Well Del

To start the ball rolling........I hear, or at least it has been said that lefthanded folks are more intellegent.
Nice try Garry..but I'm on a mission :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interestingly enough I use a knife and fork 'other-handed' and the guitar as well..which could explain why my music sounds awful and food misses my mouth.. :lol:

Derek :think:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

Derek,

I am also a Leftie! However I use scissors in a right handed way and also play guitar with my right hand.... oh..and the computer mouse too.

But put a pen in my right hand it it'll all go to pot.

I must say I have never really suffered any discrimination from it. The only thing people seem interested in was at school when I got asked: "so does it always feel like someone else is doing it for you then...." :dunno:

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

I have found several things that left-handers are better to, here's a small list:

Learning to throw with the "other" hand! Something that is almost impossible to learn if you are a right-hander.

Left-handers has the ability to write right to left, up-side down and mirrored as well...If you are a lefty and don't believe it, ...try...I'm sure you will be surprised..I know I was !

We are also equipped with the ability to read left to right, and mirrored or upside down as well....funny but an almost unusable gift...

I spend a week finding left hand cursors for my mouse, and finally found a complete left-handed set which come in handy, each month when I switch the mouse from the right side to the left side of the keyboard. Hence reducing the "mouse-shoulder-syndrome" enormously.

As mentioned above we have a great ability to comprehend cubic forms and spheres. Hence we have a very good directional feeling, and also a good gut-feeling of our placement in space. (that might come in handy when flying, especially if you are in a spinning dive....)

I guess there are several other things, but that is what just spring into mind.

Oh...one thing though. Our left hand is almost always smeared in ink or carbon due to the fact that we write with our left hand, and therefore smear our hand over the just-written letters....that was luckily solved with the invention of the keyboard......but why do the numbers have to sit on the right?.....

To end up I just want to post a usefull link:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... hand+items
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Alex,

This topic is nothing to do with discrimination..there's enough of that on this planet....just having a larfff :wink:

Being left-handed, and used to it, I don't give it a second thought..until it's mentioned..or trying to do something and find I can't because I can't use the tool..it has it's blessings and curses.

Dan: thanks for all of that!

ATB,

Derek

:wink:

Airborne Signals

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'm left footed.... does that count? :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Dan

Did you mean read right to left...left to right we all read that way.

I am righthanded but I have always been able to read upside down and back to front.

What does supprise me is the number of left handed people there are.

Far more that first impressions would suggest.

We had one chap that always moved everything to the other side but other leftahanded people don't.

Also like Del a lot of lefthanded people play right handed guitars again giving the impression there are not so many.

I never did understand left handed guitars............one bit is done with the right hand and the other with the left but it has nothing to do with being left or right handed.

You don't get left handed pianos.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Garry Russell wrote:Did you mean read right to left...left to right we all read that way
Ahh very well spotted, sure you're not a leftie? :lol: :lol:

Yes I meant the other way round....but now I think it's funny, so I won't edit it...
Last edited by DanKH on 09 Jun 2006, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Ben Watson wrote:I'm left footed.... does that count? :lol:
Judging by my abilities in the 22 blokes-muddy field-pig's bladder game, when I was a kid, I'd say I must have two left feet :lol: