Being a lefty...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Garry Russell wrote:You don't get left handed pianos.
Or harps...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Typical...

..there's no point starting a serious discussion around here... :roll:

Derek :lol: :lol: :lol:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Nope !...that why we love it....

Anyway, I learned to throw with the "other" hand, when in my younger days I played baseball. My income was limited at the time, so to buy a -right-hand glove was not just a thing I could afford, so I borrowed a left hand glove. that forced my to throw with the right hand when playing in the field, as it would take too much time to catch the ball, take off the glove switch the ball to my left hand and then throw.....

But on top of that I was a pitcher, and when I pitched, I had to throw with my left hand of course to have the precision, but then immediately put on the glove to be able to catch the ball.....

Needless to say, the first thing I bought for my savings was a right-hand glove so I didn't need all that shifting...

The point here is, that while there were several spare left-hand gloves, there wasn't a single right hand glove. AND when I finally had the money to buy one, yes guessed right, the price was approx. 50% higher than a "standard"....bugger.

And that is not the only example off left hand items being more expensive that "normal" stuff.... I guess that's also why so many left handers eg. plays guitar, golf, etc. etc. like right-handers. When they first took up that hobby, interest, ability, there were no alternative....

How many parents have you not seen putting the spoon into the baby's right hand?....

Because I'm left handed, and was aware of these things, our children was left (no pun intended) to select for them selves every time they were about to eat, draw, hammer etc. etc. and by doing this we didn't force a preferred hand on them.

They both seem to have come out right handed though, BUT, and that is important, they were given the opportunity to select for them selves.

Not so many years ago, right hand writing was forced in school.

Well enough off this for now, let others come forward...
Last edited by DanKH on 09 Jun 2006, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

This 'leftie' conversation cropped up on Big Brother last night (I know :redface: ). Two of the housemates are left handed, and one of them said that all lefties were more intelligent - if anybody else is watching it, the people were Leah and Nikki, I leave you to draw your own conclusions. :lol: :-#

AndyG

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I'm sure that left handedness was not helped in ancient times by the Latin words:

right = dexter

left = sinister

I never though I would be able to use my Latin here :dance:

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Personally I don't fall for this intelligent difference stuff.

I can't see why that should be true? Certainly no scientifically proof of that.

Any way, possible there is a brain dominance in some part of the brain that are different for the two types. But saying that one is more intelligent than the other is talking mere cr....

Intelligence is not a single measurable item, but consist of many different items. one is writing, an other is fantasy, visualisation, mobility, and so on....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

RAF_Pegasus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by RAF_Pegasus »

S!

My name is John - and I'm a 'leftie'

There, I have said it - its out in the open - for all to see - but I don't think I can kick the habit now, having lived with it all my life. :lol:

A little story -
Many, many years ago when I was a little boy just starting school. My parents were summonsed by the school, because the teachers had genuine concerns about my progress compared to the other kids in my class.
Of the three R's, my reading and arithmetic were fine, but my writing was abysmal.
When my parents asked to see my workbooks the answer was immediately apparent ---

Once the teachers understood that I was normal and just a natural and total 'leftie', things got better.

Regards
John
Like all humans, my brain is composed of two halves, however ...
The left side has nothing right with it, and the right side has nothing left in it.

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

I'm completely ambidextrous in the vast majority of things I do. It's great being able to swap hands after a three hour exam and start fresh without a awful pain in your hand for your second three hour exam.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

As to Big Brother left handed or not they can't be intellegent if they're on that show.

:roll:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

I am a leftie and fortunately was never pestered at school to change hands like some.

I have always found that it all depends who shows you how to do things.
A right handed person showed me how to hold the bat when playing cricket, hence it was great sport when after being in the field and bowling left handed, all the field changed over when I came into bat. When they realised I did not bat left handed, there were rumblings when they changed back. Got called things like a "country member" - at least that's what I thought they said.

Another thing I found after starting work as a printer, all the machines I ever worked on had the operating controls on the right. Soon learned how to use both hands.

Does that make me a crazy mixed up kid? :dunno:

Graham