Aviation Careers

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

There are many different aviation jobs available mate. I've done a few and some open doors into others.

If you've got any questions on Passenger Services, Airfield Ops or Airline Ops, feel free to ask.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Andy

Unless you wish to emigrate I cant really help on that side of the pond.

You'll never be rich but you will have the most fun you can with your

clothes on/ :wink:

Leif

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

TobyVickers wrote:As for degrees and A levels, I have plenty but no job, so I no longer think thats the answer! :dunno:
I take that back... got a job offer today :dance: (not in aviation though)

speedbird951 wrote:Ironic, though - reading the job application - after 30 years flying and 13 as a Cabin Service Director on long haul routes with (arguably) one of the World's premier airlines, I realise I can't match the job specs for a Gatwick shorthaul job (even if you take the age factor out).
I just read that too... quite demanding requirements, especially having to have the GNVQ or 2 years relevant experience already... and after all that the money offered is less than I was getting in a call centre :shock:

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

Hi Andy,

These days there are two ways to get into aircraft engineering

1) An apprenticeship (BA & Virgin take apprenti), at the end of which you should have a License. (They give them away with cornflake packets these days)

2) Get an airline to take you on as a Maintenance Assistant (a gofer fetching equipment, engineering steps etc)

If you take route 2 when you have demonstrated a mechanical aptitude and have the confidence of the engineers you will get to work on aircraft. Then if a vacancy comes up for a technician's postion, you apply.

As a technician you will be doing the spannering alongside and under the supervision of a Certifier (Licensed Engineer). You will then need to undertake self study to obtain your licence.

The licence exams these days are in module form and you have to pass all the required modules needed for the particular discipline you are going for. Once passed each module will be valid for 5 years, so if you take longer than five years to pass all the modules you will have to re-take the ones older than 5 years. The pass mark is 75% for each module.

In my young day you sat a multi-choice exam where they knocked of half a mark for each wrong answer and 6 essay questions. The pass mark was 70%. Once you had passed that you had a two hour interview with a CAA surveyor who probed any weak areas pick up on the exams and asked any other questions he felt like appropriate to the license you applied for. You then got your license. The secret of the intervew was not to bullshit, because the surveyor would let you dig yourself a hole and he may have even given you a shovel to help!

Rant over.

Once you have your licese the company will put you on a type course and provided you pass that (75%) and pass an interview with the company Quality Assurance Dept you will be a Certifing Engineer.

Bear in mind during all this time you will have worked days & nights in all weathers. It is no joke working on the remote stands at an airport at 3am on a Janurary night.

At any time during all this you could apply for any vacancies that come up with the company such as Engineering development where you review Service Bullitins to se if they are worth incorporsting (costs etc), design modifications, liase with manufacturers etc.

That about it. Feel free to ask any questions
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

migeater0
Lightning
Lightning

Post by migeater0 »

Maybe worth looking into doing an Advanced Modern Apprenticship?

I'm currently doing one with QinetiQ and has been one of the best things I have ever done. How many non-service personnel can say they play with live Tornado's and Alpha Jets at work?
The Sock Lives! Long Live The Sock!

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

Ok thanks for your help everyone!
VC10; that was very useful, thanks to you in particular.

Now: does anyone know where I might find adverts for such positions?

Cheers,
Andy M.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Back of Flight International, failing that do some net searches and try all the major airlines. Last I checked there is also still the study/training route. Northbrook College at Shoreham airport near me does it for example.

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

Cheers Toby I'll look into it!

:smile:
Andy M.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

VC10 wrote:

In my young day you sat a multi-choice exam where they knocked of half a mark for each wrong answer and 6 essay questions. The pass mark was 70%. Once you had passed that you had a two hour interview with a CAA surveyor who probed any weak areas pick up on the exams and asked any other questions he felt like appropriate to the license you applied for. You then got your license. The secret of the intervew was not to bullshit, because the surveyor would let you dig yourself a hole and he may have even given you a shovel to help!

Rant over.
Only 6 essays...you had it easy..I had 8 for first cat, then another 4 each for second and third cat (old A,C and XE),plus another 1 hour interview for each, and another 1 hour interview for each type rating. By the end of all that lot I was on first name terms with our local surveyor...never got any easier tho! :lol:

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Go for it Andy :wink:

Personally I'd like to be head-hunted for Tom Everitt's job but as my aviation experience is limited to flying in Vanguards, Comets and VC10s as a kid then later jumping out of perfectly serviceable Hercs with a radio truck strapped to my leg, I dont think, at the age of 50, that I have much chance of making it in the aviation industry..

..restoring Sopwith Camels maybe... :wink:

Make the most of your time mate..and good luck :smile:

ATB,

Derek :smile:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals