Vanguard Engine Run

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

D'oh, D'oh, D'oh, D'oh (echo)!!!!

Deary me Rick :sad:

Chris.. would it be possible for me to have fullsize copies of those three shots please?? Btw.. for the most part, the engines were only at high ground idle though each one was tweaked up to flight idle for a short period. I think there's a worry that with all 4 at flight idle, she may want to climb the chocks and go walkabout :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Hi Dave,

Yes, I did think about hanging around to say 'Hi', sorry I didn't, but as this was my first visit to the place, I wanted a quick 'butchers' in the hangar, and then time was getting on.

I did think that if they'd opened the trottles anymore, we might all have had to make a sharp exit! :lol:

I can't seem to upload my pics any bigger without them looking a bit jagged in Photobucket when I select 17" screen size (1024 x 768). I could e-mail them to you if you like?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TksVM Chris. PM on it's way :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Dave,

Found this doc in a quick search http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/401/SRG_PRO_2040%20iss4.pdf. Section 5.5.1 shows Aeroshell Turbine Oil 750 as an equivalent. This doc http://www.aopis.org/ShellTurbineOilInfo.pdf shows RR Dart, Tyne, Gnome and Pegasus engines suitable for this oil. Maybe someone who used to run a Dart engined fleet not too far away may have stocks kicking around worthy to donate to a good cause?

Rgds

John

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi John,

Tks for that :wink: I'll pass it on and see what pop's out :thumbsup:

I don't think the boys mind too much if its a little long in the tooth but the '63 vintage stuff they're left with is a bit too old to be comfortable with. An equivalent will do and there is quite an extensive list of suitable replacements :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Dave

perhaps a stupid question

But when an aircraft is ground running without the extreme of altitude and temperature and relatively low power for a short time, is the EXACT type of oil so critical given that a lot of the criteria no longer applies?

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Hi Garry, I'm not Dave :lol: , but I would suspect things like the viscosity of the oil and other properties (governed by the design of the passages in which it flows, the engines operating speed range, temperature etc etc) probably dictate which oil is used. I'm sure there would be a modern equivalent though or something that would suffice.

Toby

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Toby/Garry,

Yes.. it is the particular properties of the oil required that govern which type is required. It's much the same as buying oil for your car in that years ago, a 20/40 would do the job for all-year-round performance.. depending on the car of course. Old, vintage cars tend to need a much thicker oil (forget the 40 bit!!) so any similar 20 grade would do the job. With any new car, you are given alternatives for the type (and grade) of 'approved' oil that can be used and aircraft are no different in this respect.

The Vickers documentation specifies (for the Vanguard)..
Castrol 98
Aeroshell Turbine oil 750
Esso Aviation Turbo Oil 35
Esso Turbo Oil 35
Enco Turbo Oil 35
Esso Extra Turbo Oil 274
Enco Turbo Oil 274
Texaco Synthetic Aircraft Turbine Oil 35.

There are a list of temperatures certified by Rolls Royce that some (though not all) of the above oils can be used at and other temperatures that the rest can be used at.
Of course, it is never particularly good practise to 'mix' different oils, even of the same specification so keeping to what has been used before is best for the job.. unless sufficient (cheap) quantities of a 'different' oil can be found to enable a full oil change :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Cheers Dave

I see your point about mixing and all the problems that can give, so the answer is really to use the stuff you're supposed to.

Thanks for the detail answer.....which basically says no :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Dave

Are there not still some Transalls operating. Unless they have been re-engined, they used Tynes. Also, I have a feeling that the RN has some Tynes aboard ships as main generators etc. They were also used IIRC at gas pumping stations. I should try a call to Derby and speak to a rep there

FWIW Chris