How did you get in to FlightSim?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Reheat
Victor
Victor

How did you get in to FlightSim?

Post by Reheat »

Done a quick search and couldn't see this been done before so sorry if it has but given the total cross section of society found on CBFS I'm intrigued to know what got you in to Flightsim's in the first place.

These things generally turn in to a "Do you remember the Spectrum/C64 etc etc" but id rather hear about the emotions behind you "flying" for the first time.

My first introduction was about 1986 sat in an airport with my father while he was waiting for a flight to go away on business, a man my father had got to know through always staying at the same hotel in India and came over. He was an Air India captain and saw me watching the aircraft.

He pulled a very early copy of FS II (on tape!) out of his bag and said "Here, give him this, its what I use to practice" and handed it to me.... I still have it!

Alex

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Well my dad used to be, and still is a bit of a plane buff so as far back as I can remember Ive been going with him to the airport and watch the planes at Liverpool and at Barton. ( I can still remember the big noisey Shannon 1-11 that used to upset me when it took off! :lol: )

Again my dad used to mess around with the origional FS' but I only got interested when FS95 came out. When I had my own computer I lent Fs2002 off a friend and used to mess around with that but it was only when I bought FS2004 that I became "hooked" Finding DM's VC-10 and 1-11 helped too :smile:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I was always interested in Aviation

In the early days it was a Vic 20 and Blitz then the BBC B with a programme called 747

I was without a computer for many years and then one day I went to see my brother and he showed me FS, which was FS98 :shock:

I briefly had 2000, then was without a PC for a while again and came back in in 2004 with FS9

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

TBH i cant remember.... i got FS98 ages ago,,,, prob when FS2000 was out... Aircraft interest from Air Training Corps. Got FS2002 and was slightly hooked then FS9 came along.... story goes downhill from here :doh:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Always been interested in aviation and soon after purchasing my first computer I saw FS95 (think that was what it was) in the shops, bought it and enjoyed the sim but................it was not long ago after we went onto the internet that I found what was on offer for FS9......No, it wasn't trawling the net that brought me here but through buying a copy of PC Pilot and the main feature in it was of the two Daves' four Classic Aircraft along with them on a CD, also the magazine featured their flight with Tonks in the VC10 (lucky burgers) not to mention the Flight Simulator.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Nigel H-J wrote:Always been interested in aviation and soon after purchasing my first computer I saw FS95 (think that was what it was) in the shops, bought it and enjoyed the sim but................it was not long ago after we went onto the internet that I found what was on offer for FS9......No, it wasn't trawling the net that brought me here but through buying a copy of PC Pilot and the main feature in it was of the two Daves' four Classic Aircraft along with them on a CD, also the magazine featured their flight with Tonks in the VC10 (lucky burgers) not to mention the Flight Simulator.
I have that mag somewhere :lol: Also has Ricks chippie in it iirc.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

jonesey2k wrote:
Nigel H-J wrote:Always been interested in aviation and soon after purchasing my first computer I saw FS95 (think that was what it was) in the shops, bought it and enjoyed the sim but................it was not long ago after we went onto the internet that I found what was on offer for FS9......No, it wasn't trawling the net that brought me here but through buying a copy of PC Pilot and the main feature in it was of the two Daves' four Classic Aircraft along with them on a CD, also the magazine featured their flight with Tonks in the VC10 (lucky burgers) not to mention the Flight Simulator.
I have that mag somewhere :lol: Also has Ricks chippie in it iirc.
The latest version has the Argosy in it, although the magazine itself seems to have turned into one big advert for Just Flight. :dunno:

FS2002 was my first Flightsim, bizarrely only a few months before FS9 hit the shelves; I ran both of them for quite a while, can't see a similar thing happening at the moment.

My interest in aviation has been with me from childhood, due to summer holidays down the road from Duxford. :smile:

AndyG

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

When I was still in school my dad got me a copy of MS Flight sim 3 to use on the families original IBM pc (8088/cga monitor/dual floppy drives). The rest is history.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

On Channel Five on Mondays there is the Gadget Show. Couple of series ago Jason Bradbury did a piece on FS9 & IL-2 Sturmovik comparing one against theother, which FS9 won.

Bought it that week, after much shall I shan't I, oh go on then :wink:

But the icing on the cake has to be you happy people :redface: with al your ideas suggestions & pictures.

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

:think:
the very first time I got into FLight Sim.......
I beleive I used a DOS command using a comadore 64
:wink: