Interesting effect

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

DaveB
The Ministry

Interesting effect

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps :)

Decided to paint something without a prop on the roof this evening. Saving the psd as a bmp automatically defaulted to 24-bit so I suspected some tomfoolery when I saved all the maps to 32-bit..

A full chrome paint without even trying! :lol:

This is what it should have looked like..

Looks a bit different doesn't it though a lot less interesting it has to be said. I've thought some of the helo paints I've done recently have been boring but I think this one beats them all. In case you weren't sure what it will be.. it's G-GMPB of the Greater Manchester Police. Wrong model I now but you've gotta paint something.. except that is a DRA 1-11 in lo-vis grey :worried:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Interesting effect

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Mate

That is the effect you get when an alpha is automatically saved and it comes in as solid black

I NEVER include Alphas...always add separately in DXT.BMP...I've seen this sort of thing too many times :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Interesting effect

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Yes indeed.. solid black :thumbsup: I have this happen on 1 of the 4 psds on the ND EC-135. You don't use map 4 very often (it's the one with the annoying door mech) but neither it nor maps 2 and 3 go to 24-bit.. they default to 32-bit where as map one defaults to 24. Can't remember what happens on the ND MD900 as I've only painted one but the ND Bo-105 goes straight to 32-bit on all maps. You can get rid of course by adding your own alpha in DXTBmp and I suspected something interesting would happen with the Islander so left it at my forced 32-bit without changing the alpha in the first shot :lol: I thought 'blimey.. I've tried for years to get that'! :lol:

I need Eddie to iron out a few details for me as he lives close to PapaBravo. I'm presuming the underside of the rear horizontal stabs is grey and that ALL of the underside of the main wings is grey. On some shots the outer main wing (underside) tips look white but I think it's how light reflects off their slightly up-turned shape.

I checked on Allnodes last night and it seems the last time this was painted was for 2002. A whole sim generation have seen fit to ignore it :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!