New RN arrivals

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

DaveB
The Ministry

New RN arrivals

Post by DaveB »

Here's a couple of 'What If' RN paints for the Cera UH60L..

Both are still vaguely WIP though they're both about there. Registrations are real.. ZD626/S is a Mk4 Sea King and ZF562/670 is a Lynx. I hope they don't mind me borrowing them :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: New RN arrivals

Post by DaveG »

The grey one looks good. Not sure about the green one though *-)
771sq next then Dave? :lol:
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Indeed mate :lol: I'm not sure about the green one either though to be honest.. I'm not sure about the green Sea Kings either *-) . The green I used was nabbed straight off the Virtavia Sea King Mk4 (to keep some sort of commonality) but looks a bit darker on the UH60.. maybe? I'll have to post a shot as a comparison so I can see both at the same time :lol: TBH.. I never fly the green Mk4.. not least of all because it's easy to crash. Put the gear up (G) and of course.. the Mk4's gear doesn't animate as it doesn't retract. However.. the model doesn't know that and the contact points change to 'gear up' resulting in sparks everywhere! :lol:
I quite like the grey paint.. it suits the UH60 well I think. It'd probably look nicer on an FSX Lynx mind you :lol: Why did you hang up your tools Dave.. there are so many things we all want :lol:

EDIT: The Virtavia Mk4..
While the colour is actually the same.. shine/alphas/specs e t c are different (as they would be). It'll do for something I'm rarely going to fly ;) Note.. gear DOWN on the Mk4 too :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Dave,
same response here - like the grey but not the green ...

How about an UH-60 in RAF Rescue yellow a la Sea King ?

regs,
Ro
:hide:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Ro :hello:

Yes.. I think the UH60 would lend itself well to RAF Rescue yellow. I have a part finished RN Rescue too which I may get around to finishing one day. I'll make a start on the RAF paint as soon as I see some more clear air (working today and all over the weekend) ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Dave,
thanks for that - I just hope that it does turn out well; it certainly does look good to my mind's eye ... but my imagination can sometimes be, erm, OTT ! For example, I'd love to see an Osprey in RAF rescue yellow ...

Would the RN rescue be a grey and red one similar to the Sea King again ?

cheers,
Ro
:guinn:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ro :)

The one I've done is grey with red nose and red band on the boom. The grey one is basically that paint with the red layers unticked ;) Are you thinking one in RN blue/yellow? I've given that some thought already but thought the huge area above the cab might look a bit ;) OTT in yellow *-) I'll see how the RAF yellow looks first :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Yes, Dave, that grey & red one is the one I was thinking of. But, wow, I'm not sure I've ever seen a blue & yellow one on any kind of chopper, and that sounds great ...

Looking forward to everything you produce here,
Best regs,
Ro
:cheers:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ro.. just when I'm off to bed, I see you're here. Lets cross posts hey :lol:

What at first seemed easy peasy is not so. The UH60 has a gallon of warning/marking decals where I want to put ROYAL AIR FORCE RESCUE (on one side) so I've dragged the RESCUE to the door for now. I did try putting the RAF on there too but it looked a bit busy. I could probably lob the lot on the boom but it would take the 'replica' yet further away from the original *-) Also.. PSE doesn't really like this map so I've made a new set of maps for use in PS (the text gets changed if I swap between the two) and started again.
The YELLOW.. good grief man. This is v2 and I'm warming to it. I don't like tft's for painting.. crt's were much better. Just as I think I've got the colour.. move your head and bang.. it's changed :wall:

Anyhoo.. suggestions welcome for this little tinker ;)

Ahh.. we did cross in the post :lol: Re blue/yellow.. I was thinking along the lines of the old RN helicopter colours with yellow upper (engine casing) and dark blue for the body.. like the paints Brian did for his Wessex.

EDIT: BTW.. the grey bits are off different maps (unpainted ones) in case you were wondering if I'd gone completely mad :lol: Also.. the boom reg was made smaller in anticipation of ROYAL AIR FORCE adorning it. ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

Yeah, the times when I'm online are very erratic, to put it politely.

Personally, I still think that LPs can sound better than CDs - even after seven generations of digital processing, there are times when analogue is still better. Probably not too relevant but I doubt whether it's possible to buy a CRT these days except at extortionate prices.

Anyways, not being a repainter (yet) I'm afraid your comment on the grey alternate maps is lost on me. Would it mean that you can't change the colour of those parts, and, if so, could they be changed by doing an edit on the MDL using a hex editor ? Even so, it gives an impression of what the blue & yellow one would look like, and, given your reminder about the Wessex, that would be brilliant if repeated here in nice shiny gloss colours (as in showroom or display condition). I have to say that my preference on the RAF version would be a brighter shade of yellow, and again in display gloss rather than everyday condition. Of course, given that you have a screenshot there, it may look rather different in the "metal" on my own screen, in line with your comment on the difficulty in getting exactly the shade / hue you want on your own screen.

In any event, you've done a great job there as well as being a good salesman for Cera. Now, how about an RAE / AAEE raspberry ripple version ...

ATB
Ro
:welldone:

Edit - duh, of course you could change the grey bits, as you did in the green one, which is growing on me by the way ...