New RN arrivals

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: New RN arrivals

Post by DaveB »

You may well ask me to do a Britannia :lol:

The list of paints done for the S-55 (UK paints that is) are few. I like the slate upper/slightly duck-egg lower RN colours (as per one that went to RAE before they pulled it's bits out and gave it a big nose) so I may do that. Also.. all-over RN blue is not in my hangar and neither is RN blue with day-glow nose/boom strip so I may do those. I may do a lot of things and then again, I may not :lol:

It's a travesty to admit that I don't fly anything without a VC these days (even though I don't spend a lot of time in them) so many of my old FS9 faves have gone. The Alpha S-55 has one.. lets just hope I have a PK for it and/or there's one on the freeware Virtavia pages ;)

Oh.. I found a picture of an RAE Wessex wreck :worried:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mate, yes, the Wessex ended up on the dump. I completely forgot about the Hunters, of which there were many, WW598 with Aero Flight titles looks like all over black, but was blue (before it had the moded nose) The only colour info I could find was this that shows it with the moded nose. http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/image ... P1109A.jpg

One of the early research Whirlwinds was XJ394, the only photo I have is B&W, and looks like standard RN with the dark top and light underside. This one is dark all over though... https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3647/5751 ... 7b56_z.jpg

Wessex Mk1 XM300 http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1002597 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8119 ... 845b_b.jpg
replaced the Whirlwind in what looks like an all over dark scheme, but no RN markings. I'll try and see if I can get some pics.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

I've a colour shot of a Whirlything in those RN colours. I'm really not sure what the lower colour should be but the top looks like Extra Dark Sea Grey. I'll work something out for the lower ;)

For Hunters.. DG is your man :worried: :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. after a bit of fiddling, olde worlde RN Whirlwind breaks into daylight minus wording and roundels and a few other bits and bobs..

I think this is how your RAE aircraft would have been painted mate :) Not quite sure where the upper part of the intake on the nose is pulling paint from at the mo but once I get that sorted.. I think it'll look nice with wording/roundels/warning signs added. Did the RAE B&W phot you have show RN titles? Point me in the right direction for it :)

Impressive (though unwanted) artifacts on your latest Bedford bit BTW.. looks like some sort of futuristic underwater craft :rock:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

That looks bloody marvellous Dave. Let me see what I can find by way of photos.... :thumbsup: :welldone:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I've tried searching for XJ394 and a whole pile of crap came up.. none of it to do with Westland Whirlwinds :lol:

Upper/lower paint divides is a bit off as looking at the couple of shots of the aircraft at Yeovilton, the grey extends down to the second rib on the boom. If I do that on the model, it makes the paint as you see it. The dark grey should, in reality, creep just below the windows. The RN aircraft had a bent boom too which may explain things yet further :lol:

One itsy bitsy bit of nose is having me pull my hair out so I'm going to do something else before I'm bald :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. I lost a little more hair so went outside and mowed the lawns front and back. When I returned, I couldn't remember where I'd got to (and what I'd moved) so another frustrating hour wasted :wall: I can honestly say that it's not often something that looks so b1oody simple is such a pain in the @rse!

Considering the maps on this are 1024, the wireframe (put at the bottom and not at the top ala Nemeth and just about everyone else) looks like it's been drawn with a crayon so finding detailed reference points is extremely difficult. Plain colours certainly rule on this one :lol: Just the reg to add on both sides plus RN titles and the danger box to add to the other side. Looks bare doesn't it and there's only the reg to go on that side 8)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It does look plain, but, I have a picture of her, again in B&W, where she is one colour all over, and there seems to be precious little by the way of markings. I'll see if I can get some better photos at the end of the month from one of the BAHG chaps. :thumbsup:

Cheers matey :welldone:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ah.. one colour.. my favourite :lol:

Have you seen the shot of one in this colour as she was with the Empire Test Pilots School? the ETP looks like it's been hand painted on the nose :lol: It's identical to this paint minus RN titles and with ETP (in long hand) on the nose :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

And here's my first 'one colour'.. though it's not going to stay this way for long. She's having a big day-glo nose and matching smalls :lol:

At least it's British.. nearly :lol: Pay no attention to the titles.. they're a cast-off of the last paint ;) The blue matches the colour that chap used for the Victorious paint so they won't look odd :cpu:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage