New RN arrivals

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: New RN arrivals

Post by TSR2 »

That looks great too Dave. I haven't seen the other pic you mentioned above. On the blue one, I "think" the RN titles where further down , almost readable from underneath on the boom, similar to the pic I sent you with it launching the Concorde model. *-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes mate.. as I said, pay no attention to the titles on that one, they're off the Yeovilton paint ;) On the all blue schemes, it was, as you said, much larger.. almost facing down and different again on the SAR's. Dunno why I never thought about the Whirlwind before.. probably because I don't fly it often (the FD is a little weird) :lol:
On one of the shots I have of it in the light lower/dark upper scheme.. the RN titles are so small, you can hardly read them :-O Wish I could make out what the logos were on it as I'd do that one too :( There's also an orange one with Penguin logo's on the front.. possibly off Endurance? *-) EDIT: It's off HMS Protetor.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

The trauma continues with these 'easy' paints for the Whirlwind 8)

When I tried to make the ROYAL NAVY boom titles match the real thing.. this happened:
Having them proportionally correct on the S-55 (XG574 is an HAR3 mit bent boom).. the bottom of the titles disappeared under the fillet mapping. I could make the titles much smaller so that wouldn't happen but that wouldn't look right either :'( Also.. the boom reg and danger warning are not.. because XG574 has a bent boom) where they should be so they look odd too :wall: Compromise is one thing but this is hurting a little :(

574 is, and has been for some time, a preserved airframe so her shine has been built up to how it would have looked on delivery.. not as it looks above with lots of flying in hostile conditions under its belt!
I really like this now.. unlike me I know :lol: Titles have been moved to stop the 'map creep' and while proportionally still correct, they're now out of place as are the rest of the bits on the boom due to the S-55 boom being straight. There is however, one undesirable artefact of the darker alpha (required to make the shine more vivid) and you can see this for yourselves. The dark blue in the bottom two screenies is a quantum leap lighter than that in the first screenie even though they're both the same colour underneath :wall: It should be possible to maintain the same degree of shine but keep the darker blue.. I just can't get my head around it at the moment *-) Would making a custom spec map for this colour be a way forward of have I lost the plot :dunno: As I said.. so much for a simple paint :wall:
This said.. I do like the hue of blue the darker alpha produces. It has a more 'in service - in daylight' look about it :cpu:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I honestly think that when this model was mapped.. the author had just come back from the pub..

From nowhere, this rib on the RH boom suddenly maps from somewhere as yet unknown 8)

I'm beginning to warm nicely to this model :wall: :S :( :help:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Oh Dave! I'm truly sorry :lol:

It looks not half bad, mapping funnies aside. :thumbsup:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes Ben.. for it is you to blame for all this :lol: I've already spent hours on it today narrowing down the funnies and I'm stuck on the bit under the nose (though less than you see in that shot) and the rogue rib on the boom 8) Other than this.. it does look quite good with the colours turned up.. especially at a distance :lol: I still dunno WTF to do about the titles, boom reg and boom danger warning. Ultimately, I may have to sacrifice the large ROYAL NAVY for something smaller and bring the reg/warning into line. If only this model had the bent boom :(

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Those awkward bits got mapped from the most unlikely places and a consequence is that the paint can't be done as it should be (as if we didn't know that already) 8) I narrowed the area down to one particular map then covered the map in a selection of colours to see where 'under the nose' pulled from. Very disappointed :( Anyhoo.. a few details have been 'misaligned' to keep them sort of uniform and this Whirlwind now finds herself as PO-512 out of Portland..

Variations on this theme include 'RESCUE' underneath ROYAL NAVY. I don't even want to think about that! :lol: These are all done in 32-bit 888 BTW so will fit the FS9 model without tweaking :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

That looks pretty good Dave :thumbsup:
I know it can be bloody annoying when the mapping is all over the place :wall:
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

She looks great Dave :thumbsup:

I've been reading bits about the MADGE trials etc on various ships, so once Thurleigh is done I think I'll be knocking up some ships :worried: :lol:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ah.. ships! Now that's the ticket matey :RN: :lol: Don't ask me to paint one though :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage