G-SIXT - Classic British... Cherokee?!

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

G-SIXT - Classic British... Cherokee?!

Post by Nick M »

Well - I know this one's a bit tenuous, but bear with me just a sec. before throwing it out on its ear! :$

This is a repaint I made a few weeks back for A2A's fabulous Piper Cherokee. OK, the PA-28 certainly ain't British, hailing from Vero Beach, Florida. I do reckon she's a classic though: this one's based on a 1960s 'C' model. However, it's the paint job which may just qualify it for an entry visa here! ;)

G-SIXT is actually a PA-28-161 Warrior II operated by Booker Aviation out of Wycombe Air Park. In 2008 she was re-registered and repainted in a commemorative livery to mark the 60th Anniversary of Airways Flying Club. The paint scheme was intended to invoke the de Havilland Comet 4's operated during the 1960s by BOAC and BEA. The left side of the aircraft carries BOAC's colours and the BEA livery is shown on the right.

I've used a little bit of artistic licence to adapt the livery to the Cherkie C (and those semi-tapered wings on the Warrior are definitely a better match for the DH.106). Just to prove I'm not completely bonkers, here are some photos of the real thing.

If there are any Cherokee flyers lurking here who fancy it, here's the download link.

Best wishes, :)
Nick

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: G-SIXT - Classic British... Cherokee?!

Post by DaveB »

Almost anything Red Square gets my vote as does BOAC :lol:

Nicely done Nick :thumbsup:

I have various incarnations of this (the Cherokee) I've bought over the years and I simply don't fly em so why do I buy em.. the simple answer is I don't know :lol:
EDIT: If you fancy doing a copy for the Carenado PA-28-181 Archer II.. I'd be happy to take a copy. That model would also start to get used :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

Thanks Dave! :) I don't have a copy of the Carenado Archer, so no luck there I'm afraid. However, the A2A Cherokee is my new love. 0:) I can't see to keep my hand off her! She also prompted my first foray into repainting. I had lots of 'fun' with G-SIXT due to the asymmetric cheat lines and so on. I've now got a few paints scattered on the A2A forums, such as at this thread.

Nick

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I have bought models on the strength of certain repaints being available before now and on more than one occasion too :worried: If I were in the market for the A2A model and repaints were an issue (I'd sooner someone else do the repaints than get my own hands dirty :lol: ).. the BEA/BOAC repaint would tip the balance for me ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Jetstreamsky
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Jetstreamsky »

Very nice indeed, BOAC scheme looks so right on her.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

She looks great! Well done. :thumbsup:

Brian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Nice paint :)

No doubt about it's existence, :lol: it was discussed here years ago when it came out. I saw it at Booker recently. The BA ones look smart too...any thoughts of doing that?
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Jetstreamsky wrote:Very nice indeed, BOAC scheme looks so right on her.
I agree, very dashing livery. I would like to see it on both sides, not diminishing the BEA one at all which is nice too. I'm a bit of a sucker for BOAC (and PanAM come to that and ACA) as a look through my hangar would confirm.
Alex

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

Thanks for the kind remarks chaps! :)

I did consider making two different paints schemes based on G-SIXT: one BOAC and one BEA (the asymmetry does look a little odd). Maybe I'll get round to it one of these days...

The Booker/Airways Flying Club paint schemes (flappy flag and Landor) were actually done subsequently by another gent on the A2A forums. There's a link to them somewhere on this webpage.

This is the closest I got with G-AVOZ: a proper 1960s PA-28-180C (not one of those new-fangled 1980s Warrior IIs) and a very grown-up looking one too.
Well - it's got a blue bottom and a white top! ;) Download link for any A2A Cherokee flyers.

This is another real world scheme of a 1960s G-reg Cherokee 180 in a rather retro set of coloured stripes! (Download link)

Cheers,
Nick

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Vancouver wrote:
Jetstreamsky wrote:Very nice indeed, BOAC scheme looks so right on her.
I agree, very dashing livery. I would like to see it on both sides, not diminishing the BEA one at all which is nice too. I'm a bit of a sucker for BOAC (and PanAM come to that and ACA) as a look through my hangar would confirm.
There are a few Cherokees in the fleet...why not two aircraft one in each livery :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."