Sea Vixen & Buccaneer request... /posible?

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

SamRo
Comet
Comet

Re: Sea Vixen & Buccaneer request... /posible?

Post by SamRo »

ok, im guessing everyone knew this... save me...
http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... .php?id=97

lol, however im now interested this is an S2B, the @flightingstations aircraft is an S2D, now the S2D as far as I know were updated ex RN aircraft where as the S2B were newbuild RAF... so the model is nearly the same save the radios? or am I way off track?

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

SamRo wrote:ok, im guessing everyone knew this... save me...

lol, however im now interested this is an S2B, the @flightingstations aircraft is an S2D, now the S2D as far as I know were updated ex RN aircraft where as the S2B were newbuild RAF... so the model is nearly the same save the radios? or am I way off track?
There's an S2B in the pack as well, the main external difference is that the B almost always had the belly fuel tank fitted, whereas the D couldn't have it fitted. That's the bomb bay door tank as opposed to the bomb bay tank which all S2s could have.

SamRo
Comet
Comet

Post by SamRo »

Ace just be flying about in P3D for the first time with the Buck, the self shadowing on the cockpit is very cool! Ive had a look I see the difference in the bay door.

SamRo
Comet
Comet

Post by SamRo »

any joy? ive been trying to paint... im not going to give up my day job...

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

SkippyBing wrote:
SamRo wrote:ok, im guessing everyone knew this... save me...

There's an S2B in the pack as well, the main external difference is that the B almost always had the belly fuel tank fitted, whereas the D couldn't have it fitted. That's the bomb bay door tank as opposed to the bomb bay tank which all S2s could have.
er, have to correct you slightly there, (being Q-ABC-A in my time ;) ) The bulged bomb door tank could be fitted to all S2's, and if the plumbing was there, they could also be used as the makers intended. As you say the overload tank installed inside the bomb bay on all S2's. The D designation stood for De-Navalised; ie removal of catapult hooks and other nautical paraphernalia like underwater ejection capability, and made same as S2B. Incidentally, I was on the team that de-navalised XN974, the trials hack , @ 1983, and we installed the bulged bomb door tank on it then, and the plumbing to suit, then removed it again because the top neddies in charge wanted a flush door for the trials work :)

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Ahh yes, you're right about the bomb bay door tank could be fitted on the naval variants, it just couldn't be used.
However I'm certain the C was an upgraded S2 for naval use, with the D being the Martel capable C with the revised spacing for the weapons pylons and appropriate electronics. Both were carrier capable and saw service on the last Ark. The A and B however couldn't as they'd had the catapult hooks etc. removed.

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/0_Contents.html has more details including the various Mod numbers needed to make an S2B from an A or C/D.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I think Bucc pilots suffered altitude sickness, that would explain why they always flew so low. :lol:
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

You may be right.. that or the Bucc had a max ceiling of 1000ft :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

SamRo
Comet
Comet

Post by SamRo »