'Blurry' repaints

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

VC10ace
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

'Blurry' repaints

Post by VC10ace »

Hi guys

I've begun having problems with my repaints. As you all know the default aircraft in FS9 are very poor textures so I download other a/c and repaint them. I find a lovely 'sharp' detailed looking plane and repaint it using the usual tools - DXT bmp editor etc. I carefully update the ALPA and save as a DXT 3 WITH alpa. Using PSP as the editor.

However once I save the aircraft and fly it it has become all blurry and the detail lines and rivets I have spent HOURS drawing in are just a grey mush. The result is a totally FUBAR looking texture. :doh:

someone PLEASE what am I doing wrong here?
:dunno:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Have you saved the textures with mip-maps? Some video cards seem to like them, others don't.
Dave G.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Concurr with DG

Sound like you are saviung with mips and shouldn't be

Make sure the box on DXT BMP is UNCHECKED

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's another annoying thing about DXTBmp.. it leaves MIPS ticked by default :axe:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

VC10ace
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by VC10ace »

oh wow thanks guys

I spent AGES repainting a VC10 as my personal 'flagship' AS If I won the lottery (a small indulgence) and she looks great on the design page, maybe now I can fly her to KORD.

I used to work on the sultans jet and OH BOY would I like one the same if I could - a flying palace. The bedrooms were great for a kip if night shifts were quiet!!

sknepper
Lightning
Lightning

Post by sknepper »

I use the latest version of DXTBmp from http://fly.to/mwgfx/ and it remembers my settings each time, including the ticked-off :smile: mips setting. Give it a try as things only get better with age. Only my memory gets worse so I never have to remember that "irritating MIPS" tick. So it's hany that the program remembers for me :smile:
Sincerely, Sean Kneppers
Repainter by choice
Fancy the Irish going Dutch

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

Someone should really sticky this blurry textures thing. I've seen it posted about 3 times! :lol: