Any chance of a little Canberra help please?

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Any chance of a little Canberra help please?

Post by AndyG »

Hi guys. I'm doing a batch of Canberra 8 repaints, to complement the stuff NazcaSteve has put up on his site (love the 3 Sqn repaints Steve :smile: ); I have a couple of 16 Sqn repaints ready, two Indian AF virtually finished, and should be finishing off a couple of Kiwi Canberras tomorrow night.

The other one I want to do is a 14 Sqn RAF, but references are a bit thin on the ground. I've managed to find a few blurred photos, which has given me enough info for serials and the tail badge; but these photos also show that 14 Sqn appeared to use ID letters on the tail - does anybody have a clue what colour they used?
:dunno:
AndyG

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

14 Sqdn B(I)8 markings

Post by hobby »

P67 "English Electric Canberra by Ken Delve and others.

A clear b/w photo showing three a/c June 1970 Wildenrath

WT362 in black, height equal to red/white/ blue fuselage roundel diameter. Carries R/w/b finflash with black 'G' above and forward of finflash. Above that 'G' is the 14 Sqdn winged orb badge. Ended days at FFS at catterick.

WT368 as above black fin letter 'L' sold as B(I)8 to Peru

XM278 as above fin letter black 'O' but elongated letter, not a circular 'O'. Went to Marshalls for conversion but was broken up and used as spares for Peruvian contract.

All three a/c carry red/white/blue fuselage and wing roundels and are camouflaged presumably grey/green topsides and light grey, not black, undersides. Photo does not show whether a/c carried underwing roundels.

ATB.

Beeayeate
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Beeayeate »

AndyG
Here you are, WT368 at Kuantan in 1964. Note 'lo-silver' undersides*, white serials and sqn code and black gunpack (gunpacks never got re-painted to silver).
* Ask Steve.

Also remember they had a 14 Sqn crest and bars on the nose.

Hobby
Not grey undersides, silver. B(I)8s didn't have underwing roundals.

But you're right about serials and sqn codes being black, but that shot is in early/mid 1970 just before they conveted to Phantoms.

With B(I)8s, camo schemes, serial sizes and colour, sqn codes crests and badges were changed frequently and often. The only really definitive thing you can say about it is they all started off with black undersides and then all went to silver.

The sqns equipped with the 8s were 88Sqn (the first with 8s, then re-numbered to 14); 59 Sqn (re-numbered to 3), and 16 Sqn.

I have a growing B(I)8 set of pages on my Canbera Web Site, http://www.bywat.co.uk/gallb8.html.

Hope this helps.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated. Looks like a couple of 14 Sqn repaints on the card. :smile:

Beeayeate, your site has been my standard reference, absolutely invaluable and a wonderful site. :welldone:

AndyG

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Good stuff all round gents, Les is THE defintive source on all things Canberra so I am sure you will get the job done right with his help, Andy. I can also forward you some 14 Sqn pics he emailed me which should help too. Can't wait to see the new repaints.

Steve

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Just a quick update. The 3 Sqn is one of Steve's masterpieces, the rest are my pitiful efforts. :redface:

The first shot shows an alternative 16 Sqn repaint, and what will be (when I manage to get the underside painted properly) and Indian AF facilities Canberra.

Shot number 2 is my corrected version of the default scheme; both of the 16 Sqn paints are 95% done, I just need to tidy up some demarcation lines.

The final shot includes another IAF Canberra, as served with the UN in the Belgian Congo in 1961 - the 'ONU' letters are way too big, and need correcting, but she is finished apart from that.

Steve, I should be able to get the 16 Sqn paints, and the ONU one, over to you tomorrow - the rest, including the other Indian one, a couple of Kiwis and a couple of 14 Sqn repaints, will be with you bu the end of the week.

BTW have you posted any of your shots over at the Outhouse yet?

AndyG

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Love it, love it, love it. I was really hoping you'd tackle the orange target tower and looks like she's shaping up nicely, bruvva. :dance: I also can't wait to get my hands on that Belgian Congo ops IAF bird after reading that 'Canberras in the Congo' article online.

The 16 sqn repaint is looking nice too, now doing far more justice to the venerable WT346 than before (no offence Paul, try to see me modelling!). Hopefully Les B will approve.

BTW, how do you get these parked shots? I have tried and tried with bloody AI Traffic Tools and HATE THAT THING with a passion. No matter what, I cannot get EGUY added and working with CAnberra (or any) traffic. Can you reveal your secrets on this, sir?

Standing by on your new material, and adding shots to Outhouse now. Cheers,

Steve

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com