IFR in Europe

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

nigelb wrote:So I am curious if Radar Contact works with EditVoicepack (or visa versa.)
No, it doesn't.
PP

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

PeteP wrote:
nigelb wrote:So I am curious if Radar Contact works with EditVoicepack (or visa versa.)
No, it doesn't.
PP
Thanks Pete. I suppose I should ask if RC has any capability similar to EditVoicePack, i.e. any editor available to add sounds?

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Sorry, Nigel, I should have been a little more forthcoming in my (unusually fo me!) short response. Because of the different system used for recording and playing the sounds in RC, it isn't compatible with EditVoicePack and there isn't an alternative editor specifically for use with RC.

For Radar Contact, each pilot and/or controller records a set of individual words and short phrases (well over 2000 items for version 5) which are stored as .wav files in idividual directories. As Graham Jackson - an RC user who later joined the beta team has shown - it's quite possible to produce new callsigns, airport names and so on by loading suitable existing wavs into a sound editor, chopping them up and stitching them together again but the amount of work required to do this is tremendous. At the moment we have 22 controller voices of which 16 have also recorded the pilot scripts and 12 of these have been electronically modified to provide the voices for AI traffic. So, whatever work you need to do to produce one new .wav must be repeated another 49 times to make sure all the controllers and pilots can say it! :crying:

In reality, though, it's not as bad as I've made it sound because we already include many current and past airline call signs and aircraft types in version 4 and we encourage users to submit requests for new ones to be included in future recording sessions. If there are any call signs or types that you are curious about, let me know and I can tell you whether or not they're icluded in either the current v4 or v5 which is under development.
Pete

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Thanks again Pete! Now I understand. I can see why editing all those voices would be a real chore.

Most of the callsigns I am interested in are the defunct British airlines - like British Eagle (Predator), and ....well just look at Gary's repaints and you get the idea. :wink:

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

nigelb wrote:Most of the callsigns I am interested in are the defunct British airlines
Ah right, we are a little short of those although "Beeline", the call sign of the old British European Airways, was added to v4 at my request and I do most of my test flights using it. :smile: