Query: What does anti-aliasing do?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Query: What does anti-aliasing do?

Post by hobby »

I am puzzled because switching 'anti-aliasing' on or off seems to have negligible visual effect on my setup. Can someone please explain what it is supposed to do for FS9 and therefore why when switched off the frame rates might be improved?

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Anti-aliasing (AA) reduces the jagged appearance on the edges of objects and gives them a smooth edge. This puts more work load on the graphics card so it will reduce it's performance.

The AA in FS is flawed, in that a) it's not very good, and b) causes a significant frame rate hit. You are better off to enable AA directly in your graphics card display settings and turn AA off in FS. You may need an extra tweaking utility to do this depending on your graphics card.
Dave G.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Hobby

An Example

With AA turned off the jaggedness on the shadows and the rear of the Viscount rudder are partially obvious but the whole lot is jagged generally

With AA on all is smooth

Garry
Last edited by Garry Russell on 28 Nov 2006, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

What does anti aliasing do?

Post by hobby »

Thanks.

In following the links under the topic 'better fps' I discovered how to transfer all my 'AA' from FS9 and switch that function to my NVIDIA graphics card. Along with the other tweeks my Fs9 now runs more sweetly.

Sounds very basic and a tad late in view of FSX but I have never seen a list of proven FS9 tweeks until a few days ago. All basic stuff which I would still be in ignorance of had Effoh not given me alead to the correct website.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It's often the small tweeks that make the big differences just by getting you on the right side of "the line"

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Strangely, in FSX, it seems it's better to set AA in FS and not in the graphics card control panel :roll:
Dave G.