ECC or Not ECC... that is the question

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

ECC or Not ECC... that is the question

Post by TSR2 »

Anyonesuggest is it worth going for ECC (error checking) memory over non ECC stuff.

New MB has arrived so the next month I'm going to buy the memory for it (component per month sort of thing) :roll: :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

ECC will slow you down a little, (all of 2%), so if you aren't running something that requires the error checking and correcting circuitry I wouldn't bother. It's just extra money for something you aren't ever going to use at the end of the day and the failure rate for non ECC and ECC are so similar that unless it was for a high end system running something incredibly important it isn't really worth it.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Doesn't it also depend whether the motherboard will take either/both?

Ok, so I'm running ancient hardware here, but at least one motherboard doesn't recognise ECC RAM.

Has that changed with the latest chipsets?

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

ianhind wrote:Doesn't it also depend whether the motherboard will take either/both?

Ok, so I'm running ancient hardware here, but at least one motherboard doesn't recognise ECC RAM.

Has that changed with the latest chipsets?
Every motherboard I've had supports both, although there are some on the market that won't support ECC.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The new board does support both, so I'll go with the non-ecc. The board..

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=459241

P5WDG2 WS Professional

I chose the board as I need a PCI - X 133 Mhz slot for my U320 SCSI RAID card. The board has a good mix of technology and supports the latest intel quad cores too so should be ok.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage