Video help wanted

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Degsy,

I'm confused by your response. Maybe I need to outline the process I use and then you can see if there are differences to how you do it.

Not knowing much about Fraps, I just installed it and set it to record the full size window at 25fps (for me full size is about 1024 x768 - not exact since FS2004 is used in a window on a dual monitor setup).

That recording produces an AVI file of around 300Mb for 30 seconds.

I load that file into VDub where I select the video compression codec (Xvid, defaults), audio compression codec (Lame MP3, 192 kbps CBR) and video filter (Resize 640 x 480, precise bicubic). Then I save it to my final AVI.

So compression and resize (if any) are all done on the same pass using the original 300 Mb AVI file.

I still feel that the key is a large Fraps file to work with. That is what my VDub screen shot is showing: the number of frames and frame rate.

What does File Information show for your Fraps file?

Ian

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Video

Post by dswanson »

Ian,

I was also confused - but not your fault. I had not reset fraps to full size when recording in 1024 x 768 so as you suggested, the recording quality was poor. :sad:

I also realised that I was only compressing the video and not to audio as well, so file sizes were all large. :tuttut:

I followed your settings and things are now as they should be - see link below. :smile:

Many thanks for your invaluable help. I find Virtualdub very easy to use but there are lots of options and the help files seem to assume a fair amount of knowledge ! I can now get on with more videoing ......
Regards,

Degsy

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

That's great.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Ian

PS If you want to make VDub more difficult, there is a whole world of "Avisynth" out there. It is a pre-processor that uses a scripting language to do almost anything with video. No GUI.

But for video noise filtering and adjustment (eg old VHS tapes) it is worth the effort. However NOT required for FS2004 video.