PSU overheat - help needed rather quickly.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hinch
VC10
VC10

PSU overheat - help needed rather quickly.

Post by hinch »

just put my case back on the computer and ran speedfan just to see what differences in temperature there are. While the temperatures read 33, 40, 31 and the graphics card 46 there is one reading 80-85! i took the case off and had a feel around (speedfan doesn't tell me what each temperature is for) and the power supply area where all the cables come out is very hot to the touch.

my new graphics card takes power, but it is within my pc's limits as it isn't the most power hungry thing (what those limits are i don't know, i was 'advised'). i've unplugged the GPU and taken the case off but the power supply still runs at about 80!!

i don't know how long this has been going on for and if i could have caused it, but i do know i need a quick solution because i have work to do!

TomNocturnal
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TomNocturnal »

What PSU are you running at the moment??? 550w, 600w?

Also, what size fan do you have on your PSU? ...and have you checked to see if the fan is working?

My PSU died a few weeks ago when I put my X850 GPU in. Had to updrage to a 550w PSU to power everything...

Also, do you know what "Amps out" is, on the 12v?
Should say on the side of your PSU!!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Don't unplug the GPU, the power socket it has is there for a reason.

PSU's don't usually have any form of visible temp monitoring but do have temp controlled fans that spin up to disperse heat when required.

As for the PSU being hot, my own PSU runs fairly cool whereas one of my mates runs fairly hot.
What is your case circulation like?
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Its most likely the motherboard MOSFET, and they allways run hot.
I allways take motheboard readings with a pinch of salt anyway, ie I once had a mobo that reported my cpu to be running at 55'c at idle but a temp probe making physical contact with the top of the core read 35'c. It was reported different each time I rebooted :)
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

i took the pc quickly down to my friend at the pc repair shop and we simply couldn't get it to do anything out of line again, measuring only 70 running flight sim and photoshop.

this morning i was running 85-90 and we could only figure there was a problem with the house electricity making everything work harder - it's certainly not unlikely living in the little village hole i do.

whatever the problem was we can't get it to do it again :think: