The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Nosewheel turn without joystick...

Post by DanKH »

Got it!

After several tests I finally found out how to use the nosewheelturning with my keyboard....

1. uncheck autorudder.

now the ailerons and the rudder movement are separated.

Apply NUM-LOCK and now you have nose wheel turn/rudder movement with the 0 and ENTER keys on the NUM-board...! (that's default assignments to Rudder Yaw)

It sure is nice to see the old VC10 turn without the nose wheel skidding over the asphalt!....[/b]
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

I guess you have to recheck auto rudder for flight if you don't want to use the keys in the air?
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Of course....just wanted to see if it could be done....so many posts here and there indicating that it isn't possible without some kind of twisting joystick or the like...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Thanks Dan, my tech chaps are sick of changing nose gear tyres after a few minutes of taxi turns. Will save a bit of money! :lol:
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Nosewheel turn without joystick...

Post by petermcleland »

DanKH wrote:Got it!

After several tests I finally found out how to use the nosewheelturning with my keyboard....

1. uncheck autorudder.

now the ailerons and the rudder movement are separated.

Apply NUM-LOCK and now you have nose wheel turn/rudder movement with the 0 and ENTER keys on the NUM-board...! (that's default assignments to Rudder Yaw)

It sure is nice to see the old VC10 turn without the nose wheel skidding over the asphalt!....[/b]
Dan,

On my machine there is no need to uncheck Autorudder...I just use the Keypad 0,5 and Enter to taxy with the nosewheel and the stick to just taxy without the nosewheel responding. However, on some aircraft the nosewheel does respond to the stick once it gets moving :smile:

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

You are absolutely right Peter

In all my excitement, I forgot to follow up on this thread.

No need to uncheck auto-rudder at all.

If you use the keys assigned to Rudder Yaw Left respective Right you are able to turn the nose wheel (and the rudder) without the ailerons flapping up and down.

I was so please to finally see the mighty 10 turning the right way instead of skidding across the tarmac...

Thanks for bumping it up again.

One thing I find quite handy though, is when you line up fot Take-off hit the 5 (or whichever key assigned) to level everything out, so you wont start your roll with a slight turned wheel
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

That's ok then, thanks for letting me know.
Jetty!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DanKH wrote:One thing I find quite handy though, is when you line up fot Take-off hit the 5 (or whichever key assigned) to level everything out, so you wont start your roll with a slight turned wheel
Yes Dan, you will soon get the hang of hitting KP5 the moment you are pointing the right way...The turn will stop instantly :smile:

BTW...I noticed that this B707 I'm using at the moment turns its nosewheel very nicely with just the stick aileron movement. I do wish that AI Traffic models would do it too :think: