Helicopter Museum, Weston-super-Mare (not for 56k)

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

kit wrote:My wife and I went to the Museum the day that Hind D was delivered. She asked 'What are those black rod things sticking out from under the cockpit for?' :roll:
Ah, you must mean this, I had to take a picture!...

Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Callum
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Callum »

The smell inside the Cockpit on those things is quite addictive. I can only aliken it to shipping oil :D

Pringle
Trident
Trident

Post by Pringle »

Great shots, love the look of the Hind. The one at the midland air museum is in really strange colours compared to what i'm used to seeing the hind in.

Link for the Midland Air Museum Hind
We are the unwilling, led by the unqualified, doing the unnecessary, for the ungrateful

LIVING THE DREAM

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

kit wrote:They have a Rotodayne rotor blade there too. The last time I was there, maybe 2 years ago, it was lying on the floor between the fuselage section and the wall. The tip jet is surprisingly small for something that made such a DIABOLICAL noise!
The fact that they are small is precisely why they were loud. Basically for a given mass flow, you have a trade off between the area of the exhaust nozzle and velocity. The smaller the hole the higher velocity. Since thrust is mass flow multiplied by velocity, thats why they went for a small hole (that and the size constraints of the blade). As you can imagine, the faster flowing gases make more noise! I believe I am right in saying the Mach numbers involved were transonic so there would be a few shocks in there for good measure. All in all, not good news for your ear drums!Image

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Toby

Is that why in the early days biz jets were so loud

It always seemed the smaller jets made more noise or at least far more noise that they seemed they should have done.

Early Lear Jets, JetStars and HS.125 certainly made themselves known :tunes:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Thats precisely it Garry. Its more efficient to achieve your thrust by moving lots of air more slowly than a small amount very quickly. The noise comes from many different sources, but in general if you consider the worst offender to be the exit nozzle, the noise is sort of proportional to the exit velocity.

The only thing we suffer from these days is that at the tips of the front fan, which has the largest diameter of any stage, you havea tangential tip velocity on or about the speed of sound, especially on t/o. Thats the "buzz saw" sound you get as an aircraft with high bypass ratio fans goes past you - lots of little shock waves produced by the tips of the fans.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Cheers Toby

The buzz off the fan you mention is similar to the prop "Rasp" on most notably the Harvard.

The Herald used to "Chop" in certain conditions, one of the things that made the Herald sound different to other Dart powered types.

All due to over or near supersonic

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."