Multiple textures per part in FSDS3?

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Court Line Flyer
Meteor
Meteor

Multiple textures per part in FSDS3?

Post by Court Line Flyer »

Hi,

Can anyone help with a quick question? Is it possible to add more than one texture to a part in FSDS3? I've created a fuselage as one long cylinder, and my 512x512 texture file is stretched along this part, completely out of proportion. What I want to do is to add several 512x512 files along the length of the fuselage.

Is the only way to achieve this to make several shorter fuselage sections as individual parts and then join them all together?

If so, can anyone tell me what the ideal length is for a section to comfortably fit a 512x512 texture file?

Many thanks

Karl

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Not sure if FSDS3 works the same way, but back in the dark ages of AF99, it was customary to make your fuselage 3 or four pieces. You tried to get them such that the height to width ratio was rougly 1:2 (i.e. in this case 256 to 512 pixels). That way you could have both sides of the fuselage on the same texture file, one side along the top and the other below. Obviously its not going to work perfectly, but you can allow for that on the nose or tail texture.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I know very little about this

I thought you set the end points of the texture to the end points of the model or what ever the texture area covers to the relevant model points rather than stretch the whole lot along.

That way it may be low quality but should be in proportion. :think:

But breaking it down will increase the resolution.

Why not use 1024x1024 and improve quality even more.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Court Line Flyer
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Court Line Flyer »

1024x1024 is still not right. I'll continue to have a play with FSDS but could still do with some help!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The 1024x1024 is only a suggestion to increase detail

It does sound like you are applying the whole texture to the part instead of applying just the area you want for that part.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."