PC performance booster tip.....

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airbee
Meteor
Meteor

PC performance booster tip.....

Post by airbee »

Just thought to pass this on...

FS\graphic travails again - so trawling the net for magical powders. As a result, chanced upon this little nugget. Even my twisted system has responded so gd luck.
Without further ado...and credits to original poster;

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/av ... ain/99078/

4JSTU
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by 4JSTU »

I'm currently trying this, but now have a few errors on my system.

Will let you know after my reboot......................

Now installed and registry cleaned, PC now takes twice as long to boot up, off to defag now.....................

4JSTU
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by 4JSTU »

Yep, it worked for my framerates :dance:

but seems to have slowed everything else down :doh:

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I read the thread on airliners earlier in the week.
It would be interesting to see if people get the same frame rate increase, by just using a reg cleaner and running a defrag.

Regards

Kevin

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I thought I'd have a go too (ah - the confidence that GoBack gives you). Installed as per instructions with no errors. I don't see any frame rate improvement in FS but, on the other hand, nothing seems to have gone wrong either :lol:

My suspicion is that it's cleaning the registry and defragging that makes the difference, rather than installing .net framework 3 :think:

As I regularly clean-up and defrag my PC maybe that's why I didn't see an improvement.

Ian

airbee
Meteor
Meteor

Post by airbee »

Hmm '4j,
Not had that.
I registry cleaned and defragged - did get a very slightly longer boot but thats all; otherwise normal. BTW, Dont forget you can D/L and reload 1.1 if things dont shape up. Just reverse the whole process.
Only an idea which may help. Try rt click My Computer- properties- tools - fix errors. Might just clr a jam somewhere. Worth a try.

ft/Note; my own FPS went up from 18ish to around 25 for those interested.

4JSTU
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by 4JSTU »

Things seem to have settled, I've seen nearly a 50% improvement in frame rates.

But FS2004 takes upto 14 seconds from clicking the desktop icon to being able to create a flight, a tad too long I thought.

For the record, I defrag regular, when doing so after this installation, the hard drive didn't require defragging (did it anyway).

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Hi thanks for the HU, but i would like to give my opinion to that post as well :-)

Sorry but it is Bu.. that your PC uses .NET FW 3.0...

Programs developed to use .NET FW 3.0 uses it, the others uses the version they are programmed to use...

You can rest assured that it wouldn't mean a thing if you uninstalled either 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 or what have we, other that those program using the specific version wouldn't work anymore...

You can also be sure that you can easily have each and every version of the .NET FW resident on your PC, it won't improve or "disprove" your performance..AT ALL!.

The other things are old news...cleaning out your registry can be quite risky, if you do not know what you're "cleaning out"...

Several "registry cleaners" does a more or less proper job cleaning up. those most efficient notes which settings you MIGHT delete but leaves it up to you.. (like eg. RegFixer. RegClean makes a backup of what it has cleaned though, but it only gives you the possibility to return it all back again...
So RegFixer would be my suggestion or indeed any other program that does the same...

Still, messing with the registry can be risky but is not, if you know what you are doing, and export your keys before you alter them, to be able to revert again. NEVER miss backups when tampering with the registry....

De-fragmenting your HDD is ALWAYS a good idea, done regularly (once a week or so) and indeed before and after a big install, will keep your HDD in shape, and the de-fragmentation-program will also run quicker each time, as not so many files become fragmented in such a short while.

There is also various de-fragmentation programmes available out there, some better than others..the build-in is somewhat an inbetweener...not excellent, not bad, not quick, not slow, and not too efficient but an all-in-all good and free one and easy to use....

Yes Vista is based on FW. 3.0 by the way and I bet we might also, within shortly, be presented for FW 3.1 etc. etc....

Get it by using this rule: If it is presented at microsoft.download as a high-priority or security item: Get it.
If not: leave it or get it as you like....

FAIW
Last edited by DanKH on 21 Feb 2007, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ooo-eer!! :shock: - first I thought that some-one had stumbled onto a magical programme consisting of a high performance turbo boosting adrenaline pumping action :dance:

But...........After reading DankH response.........maybe not!! :sad:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

4JSTU
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by 4JSTU »

:lol:

It may well be Bu, it would be funny if it is 'cos I'm convinced I've seen an increase in my frame rates.

I'll put my hand up to not knowing what it does and realize it may not change the way the program is designed to operate.
But I thought the framework would help with things like cpu, memory & graphics controllers allowing the program to run more efficently.

:dunno: