Things to concern...

Specifically but not exclusively for VA pilots.. details of recommended addon scenery that cover VA destinations.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Things to concern...

Post by DanKH »

Thought I might post this one, as I have over the years installed a lot more or less useful sceneries, and it might be a good way to share some experiences:

First of all: Don't overkill it. Think before you install. I have more than once fallen into the wow-effect and installed some huge scenery with all kind of goodies and what have you...just to find out that it completely fu..ed my other sceneries up, and by that time I had already overwritten my previous files.... :doh:

So take a deep breath BEFORE you install it.

Are you flying IFR or VFR? Not much of an idea to install some scenery that display every straw of grass, when you will be overflying the landscape at FL350...
If you are mostly flying IFR Meshes can improve your experience vastly, because the details of the coastlines and landscape profile become more evident than with the default mesh. Always move your mesh-sceneries to the button of the list.. think: Mesh, Landclass, Texture (bottom to top)

Consider worldwide texture changes instead of local you wont be surprised of the different version of eg. winter textures in sceneries the borders up to on another...

Consider Airport sceneries instead of whole country sceneries (again depending on IFR/VFR

Use "good" and well-known scenery creators, like Holger Sandmand, JG-
laurent etc.

If suddenly new scenery providers pop up one the scene take a breath for a while, and see if any body else are reporting difficulties with it You don't always have to be the first alpha tester of every scenery.

Be content with what you have. constantly changing sceneries, tend to make a mess of you FS-installation, and makes it even more difficult to get "back to basis".

Back-up, back-up, back- up also sceneries altered. Every time you reach a point where everything seem to walk hand-in hand take a back up of the whole shebang. That way you don't have to restart completely next time you mess the whole thing up ;-)

Don't be afraid to ask. Even the author.

Be sure to thank the author if you find his/her work good.
Always see if there is a free product instead of spending good money on something that you even might not like.

I hope this will help someone from running into the same faults as I have done.

Happy simming.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?