Alpha Whirlwind released....but!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Fair comments Michael (as per) :wink:

The world would have gone banzai if the Apache 'A' had shipped with a 'D' paint but a 'D' paint came shortly after and we're all happy :lol: Strange old world isn't it :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Michael davies wrote:I think the basic mistake was to add a British variant in the pack, the model is based on the US S-55 as far as l know.

As l said at the begining, leave the British one out and its a fair representation of a US S-55, l dont think the model is wrong, just a poor choice of textures, and thats not Franks fault.....because someone somewhere would have painted it and being as it would have been 3rd party all would have been fine and forgiven, but because it shipped with it then its a major fubar.

Best

Michael
It's just a question of being selective with repaints, iirc the very early Whirlwinds were identical to the early S-55/H-19A, so there would be no issues, externally at least. For example, the HAS 22 as modelled by Airfix as the "Admirals Barge" would be perfectly acceptable. I suspect, although I no longer have the references to confirm, that the HAR 2 used by the JEHU at Suez would also be an acceptable repaint.

Later batches, probably the majority frankly, had the H-19B tailboom.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1192144/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1144635/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0920592/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0772346/L/

AndyG

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

As usual, I agree totally with Michael, IF the model had been painted by non company re-painters in a British scheme, we would all have been very happy and would have overlooked the panel. However, as the first glimpse that I (as an excited purchaser of a Whirlwind not an H19) was given of this panel was on the day of sale (today) then I am a bit disappointed. I think for the price, two vc/2D panels would be expected, as they are obviously very different. Not sure if I will buy this, maybe some nice repaints may do it though :worried:
ATB Trev

jamesstables
Comet
Comet

Post by jamesstables »

Thats what disappointed me, it was marketed as the H-19 AND Whirlwind HAS.22, it might be accurate, I don't have much in the way of S-55/H-19 references, but it is miles away from any Whirlwind I have seen. At that price I'll wait for a WHIRLWIND to come along.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

I took the plunge and am very happy with my purchase. :smile: A big thanks goes out to Phil for all of his help with my purchase. The folks at Alphasim are a real first class group.

Brian

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

Dave,

You are so right on the Apache, there were many calls to make a UK D paint scheme for the a model, we resisted and got a fair amount of flack, a week later some one did a psuedo D paint scheme and every one was happy.

Every one tries to learn form there mistakes so a psuedo Whirlwind seemed obvious....now how wrong was that train of thought LOL.

Best

Michael

DaveB wrote:Fair comments Michael (as per) :wink:

The world would have gone banzai if the Apache 'A' had shipped with a 'D' paint but a 'D' paint came shortly after and we're all happy :lol: Strange old world isn't it :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

James,

Yes, not sure what happened there, it always sat on my desk as the US variant so l think the link to UK variants must have come later, probably due to external pressures truth be known.

Best

Michael
jamesstables wrote:Thats what disappointed me, it was marketed as the H-19 AND Whirlwind HAS.22, it might be accurate, I don't have much in the way of S-55/H-19 references, but it is miles away from any Whirlwind I have seen. At that price I'll wait for a WHIRLWIND to come along.

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

Trev,

That is the problem in a nut shell, a fair few people were looking for a pure raw UK Westland product and thats not what was supplied.

The model ships with five variants ( l dont think that point has been made to well either ), three of which are from across the water, if you were to pick 'one' cockpit you'd have to go with the numbers.

Two cockpits and two VCs is a long shot, l've not yet seen that on any AS product to be fair, the Seaking ran to something like 10 shipped variants in two packs and all used the same generic 2D cockpit and VC.

The developer is in a hard place between two rocks, supply one model and one VC and take it on the chin for not doing other versions ( Apache and T6 were recent examples ) or supply more versions with some areas made generic.

But, l do feel your pain though, l'm lucky, if l wanted a particular version / variant so bad l'd just go and make one, lots of people though dont have the time or inclination to do so and are left with what ever is dished up.

Best

Michael

calypsos wrote:As usual, I agree totally with Michael, IF the model had been painted by non company re-painters in a British scheme, we would all have been very happy and would have overlooked the panel. However, as the first glimpse that I (as an excited purchaser of a Whirlwind not an H19) was given of this panel was on the day of sale (today) then I am a bit disappointed. I think for the price, two vc/2D panels would be expected, as they are obviously very different. Not sure if I will buy this, maybe some nice repaints may do it though :worried:

paulb
Meteor
Meteor

Post by paulb »

Hi Chaps

Lots of debate here about the panel/VC! :shock:

As far as I can tell, the model is accurate - and does depict the Whirlwind - but ONLY in its earliest version.

Phil has shown pics of his source material on the Alphasim site. Have a look in the cafe.

Most of the Whirlwinds that "we" see were series 2 or 3 aircraft. The Alphasim model represents a series 1 - eg RAF HAR2 or 4.

Remember that many of these early ones were modified later during their lives. Even preserved aircraft - such as the example from HMS Protector received changes to its panel during its lifetime.

I think that we are really looking at the 1955-57 ish period with the Alphasim release.

Cheers Paul

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

As already stated by others before this ALPHA model was out , in my opinion the nose shape is wrong. :think: