Which type of RAM is better?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes mate.. but I have FSX installed too :wink: As it happens, I can't honestly see any difference in that either so all in all, it was money well spent :roll: :poke: I do have an intel 3.2HT and mobo here with some rather rapid ram that needs a SATA2 controller and a new HD/Operating system which, I believe, is more than capable of running FSX. My shot at throwing more memory at the XP3200+ was supposed to be an attempt at a 'quick fix'. Seems that the XP3200 just doesn't have the clout I'm afraid. Runs FS9 a treat but I'm not happy with the FSX performance :sad:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

So what happens if you have four memory slots ?
Michael

It will work ok like that, just possibly not optimally (what ever that might be, and would you notice?).

Dual channel is a feature that allows pairs of RAM chips to work at greater bandwidth if I recall the marketing jargon correctly.

But depends on the motherboard probably.

Ian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ian,

That's it exactly. With the correct ram, dual channel effectively doubles the bandwidth.. eg PC3200/3.2GBs becomes 6.4GBs in dual channel mode :smile:

ATB

ImageImage

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

Ok l know its a dual channel board so how do you make it 'go dual channel' as they say, do you ask it nicely to go to dual channel ?, or alter the bios, which of the four are dualed ?, theres two red and two yellow in groups of two, ie one red close to one yellow then a gap and a red close to a yellow, so to optomize 2x512 and 1x1024 which are the best slots ?.

l've read through the Mobo blurb and it means....well its like the screens you see in the Matrix....its just all glyph to me :sad:

l'm sure mine is 667, ie PC5300 ( thanks Dave l understand those numbers !! LOL ) but how do you find out ?, l'm sure theres a page somewhere that lists all this or some utility that tells you when you click an icon on the desk top, l seem to recall Direct x tester had a system information page and one of my registry cleaners has it as well.

I do a lot to streamline my PC with reductions in applications running and defrag and optomised cache but have never fiddled with the bios or Ram and for goodness sake SATA controllers.....what ever happened to good old IDE !!, the new Mobo only supporting two IDE items as opposed to the old 4 and thus two IDE items are now redundant and bin able.

FS9 goes like stink to be honest so an extra 10% on 120FPS seems fruitless, FSx is ok but l figure most of that gain is from the core2duo chip and not RAM or other stuff.

l'll have to check all my FSB and RAM when l get home, maybe 800 (PC6400) would be better, l think thats the max the Mobo will support, l'll be back in a few hours no doubt with more tech questions, nothing too in depth, slowly slowly catchy monkey :smile:

BTW if you get a new screen with DVI D input....keep your old VGA cable or make sure your new screen has both inputs available, DVI D will not suppot the bios graphics so its a blank screen until Windows is up and running, threw me quite a scare when my £350 new LCD screen sat there all blank when the PC booted up !. Bios is only supported by VGA graphics so its a quick cable swap to get into your Bios.

Best

Michael

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

The red pair and the yellow pair are the two dual channels.

So for two identical RAM sticks, put one in each of the red (or yellow) slots. They would then be operating in dual channel (and on my motherboard I recall it saying something to that effect on the boot screen - "128 bit dual channel" :dunno: ).

Now I don't know what the effect of then putting an odd stick of RAM in one of the other slots is going to be.

Given the option of 2Gb of RAM not working dual channel or just 1Gb working single channel, I'd take the extra memory.

For RAM speed and other useful info, try CPU-Z
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download425.html

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

Ian, Ok thanks for that, l tried the trial Hwinfo32 as well, both report the same figures which now has me very confused, the mobo will support 533, 667, and 800Mhz RAM, l have 2Gb of PC5300, but !, both utility programs tell me that the frequency is a lowly 333.3Mhz CPU-Z also tells me that channels # is Dual.

Now PC5300 is 667Mhz so why am l at 333.3Mhz which oddly enough is half 667 as near as makes no difference, does dual mean its doing the same work but at half the requency ?.

Ok l just googled and read a bit more, it appears that the DDR figure is not the actual memory speed, l dont know what it is but

PC4200 = DDR533 = 266Mhz (real speed)
PC5300 = DDR667 = 333.3Mhz (real speed)
PC6400 = DDR800 = 400Mhz (real speed)

So what does it all mean ?, l havent got a clue right now, l belive RAM spped is also affected by the chip speed ( overclocking ) and the CRAM ratio, 1:1 being best and l'm running 4:5.

Now l know a teenie bit more than a little.....which makes me very 'dangerous' :lol:.

Best

Michael

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Michael,

This was quoted by Ben earlier in the thread which should answer that question for you..

DDR (Double Data Rate) signals a change on both the leading and trailing edge of the digital signal, therefore the clock speed is only half of the data change speed..

The clock speed of my PC2700/333mhz memory is reported on the post as 166mhz and is 'Dual Channel' mode :wink: Ben did go on to say that he wasn't sure how DDR2 worked but I'd imagine it'd be similar to DDR :smile:

ATB

ImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Given Wikipaedia's reputation, this could all be garbage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

but would anybody know :lol:

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

Yes he did, l was seeing and not reading :). Pretty obvious really, especially as we use leading and trailing edge software on our cranes at work, though not in the context of data transmission but as signal edges for program functions, same for electricity, 50Hz is often quoted as 25 cycles. Thats the problem when you spend 12 hrs at work and then come home and try to carry on LOL, perhaps thats why l'm rubbish at PC work but better at poly bending ?.

Best

Michael

DaveB wrote:Michael,

This was quoted by Ben earlier in the thread which should answer that question for you..

DDR (Double Data Rate) signals a change on both the leading and trailing edge of the digital signal, therefore the clock speed is only half of the data change speed..

The clock speed of my PC2700/333mhz memory is reported on the post as 166mhz and is 'Dual Channel' mode :wink: Ben did go on to say that he wasn't sure how DDR2 worked but I'd imagine it'd be similar to DDR :smile:

ATB

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

Well l read the Kingston white paper and it looks like l'm modus optima and l suspect l'd not be able to tell the difference if l was modus minima LOL.

Best

Michael

ianhind wrote:Given Wikipaedia's reputation, this could all be garbage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

but would anybody know :lol: