Advice on Computer rebuild

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Advice on Computer rebuild

Post by Captain Pugwash »

i have been asked by my brother as to what he should replace in his old farty computer that died last week.
he is not interseted in buying a new machine off the shelf due to problems with vista and compatability problems with fs9. so may i ask if anyone could help in specs for a machine that would make fs9 go like stink, everything maxed out. he will not be getting fsx and so no issues with that. he is trying to stay with the xp system, does all he needs to do off the flightsim side. so no vista issues.

replacement parts.
ie hard drive, ram, cpu,video card, sound card and what ever else is required. tech info required for computer tech to order and fit parts for him. ( basically a new machine in an old case ). by the way he lives in the uk and not in canada as me. so he can afford to upgrade. :sad:

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Perhaps this would get a more knowledgeable response in the Hardware section of the site.

In the meantime, it might be worth having a look at what Win XP built-up machines are available through the Morgan site http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk

At the moment they are flogging a number of Compaq/HP models - including a dual core Compaq for about £410. You need to keep an eye on the standard memory/graphics/hard drive space available, but you can get quite a reasonable basis for a fs machine.

The last time I had a HD crash and needed to replace the HD, processor, memory & buy XP, the final cost of a built up machine from Morgan wasn't too far from the component price without labour to add on.

Granted if someone gives you a shopping list of well matched components for simming, you will end up with a better machine for the task.

union79
Meteor
Meteor

Post by union79 »

this is a hard subject but ive just recently build my own pc and im no expert. but look at overclockers co.uk.

it helped im running fs9 on full wack with xp pro 64 bit with my set up.

vista business 64bit runs great but isnt good for fs9.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps...

My only advice would be to buy a 64bit (x64 opposed to i64) capable cpu.
the more memory the better... If you can go to 4GB do... but 2GB minimum.

Decent graphics card... I won't be drawn on the ATI v NVIDIA debate, each to their own.

Personally...
Vista 64 Ultiumate, 4GB Ram, 3 Hard disks (1 x C drive 146GB, 1 x D Drive FSX, 146GB, 1xE Drive GenX scenery)

Hard Disks should be as fast as possible... 10k SATA or faster)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage