Whats the best aviation movie?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Tonks wrote:The Right Stuff is great though not strictly accurate.
Hey, nobody said the most accurate movie! "The Sound Barrier" is hardly cinema verite!!! :lol:

It's the first half of the film, where it concentrates on Yeager, that makes it a classic aviator movie - really brings out the sparse nature of the early supersonic testflying - and the book does it even better!

AndyG

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

I'm personally surprised that no-one has bought up Memphis Belle yet, an excellent film by any standards, and plenty of good B-17 footage to boot. Tora Tora Tora is pretty good too.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I'm with Tonks on "The Final Countdown" but I haven't been able to remember the name of it since I first saw it :roll: The scenes with the F14s dogfighting with Zeros were awesome. They were trying not to shoot any down in case it messed up Time but I seem to remember that a couple of them didn't get the hint and had to be slapped about a bit. Thanks for the reminder of the title, Tonks - off for a search on eBay now!

Ian

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

Try Amazon should be about £6

John
never give up, never surrender

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thanks John. Got one on eBay for £2.99 plus £1.75 p&p. Can't wait to see if it's as good as I remember.

Hey this is spooky - you come from Tunbridge Wells where I used to go to school and we've got almost exactly the same number of posts. Whoa - what's all that about then? :lol:

Perhaps this should be in that spooky post a few days back (or maybe not!)

Ian :smile:

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

Tomliner wrote:Also Battle of Britain which was an historically accurate film perhaps only a little let down by the limitation of the technical effects.However this was more than compensated for by the brilliant score including the march 'Aces High' 'Spifire Prelude'and the 'Aerial Ballet' music used in the scene at the height of the battle when the other sounds were faded out leaving only the music.Classic.EricT
In my young day (when the film was first released) the 'Aces High' March was called the 'Luftwaffe March' and the 'Aerial Ballet' is called 'Battle in the Air'

Paul
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

I loved the Airport disaster film series, especially the first. I also enjoyed the Spirit of St Louis and one that I think was called Mayday at FL350. It was about a 727 that got highjacked, the captain got shot and the hydraulics got shot out.
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!