*sigh* Blurry textures

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

*sigh* Blurry textures

Post by Quixoticish »

Not on aircraft this time, on everything but. It seems to happen randomly and only occured after I've started tinkering with the scenery around Llanbedr. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this? The simulation is smooth and isn't clogged down or overloaded at all, I've an inkling it may be something to do with mips or a lack thereof somewhere. Has anyone encountered this before? As you can see it's pretty fugly and impossible to fly like that. I've added a screenshot so you can see what it's normally like by comparison.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Looks to me like a case of 'heavy poly's' Chris and Llanbedr is a good place to see this happen. You're usually low and fast and a model with a high poly count (inc 32bit textures.. can be lessened somewhat by converting to DXT3) is a recipe for blurries. I can't fly there low and fast (fast being the operative word) in DG's Hunters and stay in focus all the time unless I a).. slow down and wait for the frame buffer to clear or b) remake the textures to DXT3.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

DaveB wrote:Looks to me like a case of 'heavy poly's' Chris and Llanbedr is a good place to see this happen. You're usually low and fast and a model with a high poly count (inc 32bit textures.. can be lessened somewhat by converting to DXT3) is a recipe for blurries. I can't fly there low and fast (fast being the operative word) in DG's Hunters and stay in focus all the time unless I a).. slow down and wait for the frame buffer to clear or b) remake the textures to DXT3.

ATB

I was pootling along at 150KIAS when I took that picture. It's not a gradual thing like the speed blurries, this is different. It just pops and happens, and goes from nice hight quality all around to zero quality in an instant.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Chris..

Is that FSX or FS9?? I've had low-speed blur's in FSX onboard the WoP B17 that stayed put for ages.. in fact, for the entire flight (see screenshot in CBFS FSX Multiplayer thread) but didn't see it once doing our 5hr jaunt to the Rhur and back in the PD Lanc :shock: FSX appears to like rather a lot of onboard video memory and I only have 256mb :roll: Sounds a bit off track but try setting your sound quality to medium. I can't tell the difference and it does improve system speed when running FSX (FS9 too for that matter) :smile:

ATB

ImageImage

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

FS9 Dave. I'm not making the hop to FS9 until there is something akin to UK2000 and FSNavigator, two things I can't really live without. :lol:

This only started happening today when I started messing around with Ez Scenery and placing some new objects. Now I've had a similar problem before where aircraft textures will suddenly snap to blurred for no apparent reason, resaving them with no mips in DXTbmp fixed the issue and they were crystal clear. Using the I'm a sneaky feeling one of the scenery objects I've placed is using mips and it's thrown the whole thing skewiffed. However my scenery is rather.... messy.... with hundreds of bitmaps all over the place at the moment until I get a chance to go through the .bgl's and pick out only the bitmaps I need I don't fancy reloading every single one in DXTBmp just on the off chance that's the issue. (Incidentally using the Imagetool batch process isn't an option as that doesn't work at all in my experience when you ask it to shift a load of mips).

How much do I love this hobby? :thumbsup:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How true that is mate :lol:

With you all the way on FSNav and UK2000. FSX is great for MP but until I get my hands on a new FSN/UK2000 update.. I'll be staying put too :wink: FS Commander v8.. a similar prog to FSN, works with FSX but only if you run FSX windowed and tbh, to operate it is like having teeth drawn without the benefit of anaesthetic :roll:

I think you're probably correct that EZ Scenery is the culprit. I took the plunge and bought it a while back to add some buildings to Pete Pitmans Portsmouth airfield (which he was kind enough to release for the use of our VA). First thing I did was use the default load (SeaTac) and put a building on one of the bits of land in between there and Emma. Result.. blurred ground textures in that area even though the building remained sharp!! :shock: I went on to place a handful of buildings at Portsmouth airfield and now that area will blur at the drop of a hat. It will come sharp again eventually mind you. Difficult to nail down what causes it as other sceneries seem to work fine :think:

ATB

ImageImage

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

After many hours of tinkering with textures and having no joy I finally figured it out thanks to much googling of "FS9 blurred ground textures" and other such phrases. I came across a forum posting quite low down on the listings with someone reporting blurry issues with a fuel tank library used for Ez-Scenery. Sure enough I checked and I had used the same library, removed them and everything seems to be fine.

I think I've learned a lesson, add a few objects a time with Ez-Scenery and then spend half an hour whizzing around the area to make sure this doesn't re-occur. If it weren't for that forum post I would have had to dismantle all of my additions piece by piece until I found the culprit, so in fact I probably wouldn't have bothered and just gone back to stock UK2000 Llanbedr in a huff. I'll also stick to pilfering library objects from other scenery .bgl's that I already know work in future wherever possible rather than random libraries I've found on the internet.

I think I really ought to start fully investigating things before posting and asking for help as well. Although sometimes I think it's less a request for help and more about venting my frustrations. :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chris,

Venting your frustrations works just fine too as both you and I, plus all of our other readers have learned that there is an issue with the EZ Fuel Tank library :wink:

Does this eek it's way into other libraries too as my single building off SeaTac was just that.. a long building (read shed) :shock: I think I put a fuelling point at Portsmouth but can't remember now :roll:

Anyway.. tks for digging a bit deeper and finding a possible solution :wink:

ATB

ImageImage