New Graphic Card on Way

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nigel..

At the asking price, I very nearlly added one to basket last night :lol: However, while trying to copy a file over from 'My Received' files to my 'Shared Folder' and getting a 'You do not have enough space to complete the file transfer'.. I ended up buying an external HD instead. On checking how much space I had on 'C' drive and seeing it was 1.18mb (that's not a typo either!) there's nowt else I could do :crying: I've since shifted some stuff around and got around a gig back but it needs a more permanent solution. I should put most of it onto DVD really but that seems too much like hard work :lol:

Let us know how you get on :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

DaveB wrote: I've since shifted some stuff around and got around a gig back but it needs a more permanent solution. I should put most of it onto DVD really but that seems too much like hard work :lol:

Let us know how you get on :wink:

ATB

Maplin have got some good deals on external drives at the moment Dave, £60 for a Seagate 320GB drive, for example.

All Nigel's talk of upgrades has got me looking at options! :lol: I may take a walk up to Tottenham Court Road this weekend, could well be time to swap out the mobo for something newer; it looks like it might be possible to put together a budget mobo/cpu/RAM package for about £120, and adding a 'starter' PCI-E card would 'only' be another £30. Hmm. :think:

AndyG

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I ended up buying an external HD instead
Dave that is sods law, just when you think you can, something comes along and dictates you can't!! :brick:

Have just ordered it for Friday delivery, Gawd, I thought shopping on the internet was meant to be quick and easy!!! :roll:

Think it took about as long as it does to queue at your local supermarket store!! :sad: Now I also have to memorise a new password which is a pain in the *rse!!

Wife works on Fridays so will have to be up early, drop her off then try to get back home before 08.30 so as not to miss the delivery. Just hope he gets held up in the rush hour traffic.

Will let you know once I've got it running.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

You know Andy.. I rarely think of Maplins for this sort of thing :doho:

Never mind.. I've already 'added to basket' a 250gb Philips drive from ebuyer for (£40). Odd thing is.. I got an email off them yesterday advertising this. Do you think they knew I was running out of disc space?? :shock:

ATB

ImageImage

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Hmm. The slight flaw in my plan is that nobody seems to sell decent socket 939 pci mobos any more.... :roll:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

jonesey2k wrote:Hmm. The slight flaw in my plan is that nobody seems to sell decent socket 939 pci mobos any more.... :roll:
Will I see you on Saturday then? :lol:

AndyG

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

All Nigel's talk of upgrades has got me looking at options! I may take a walk up to Tottenham Court Road this weekend
Well Andy, just don't mention my name if it gets you into any bovver!! :lol: :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

You have a good spec pc there for FS9 now Nigel so it should trundle along very nicely. I'm sure you'll be happy in the end (and if you're not.. don't let her indoors know) :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I'm sure you'll be happy in the end (and if you're not.. don't let her indoors know)
You'd be reading my obitury if I did!!! :worried: :lol: :lol:

rich byrne
Meteor
Meteor

Re:

Post by rich byrne »

JimCooper wrote:With nVidia it's the second number that is most important not the first. The first number is the Series (a bit like the Year) the second number is the POKE! eg a 7300 is actually not as good as 6800

eg the 6800 has
bandwidth of 14.4GB/sec, 4 billion pixels/sec and 375 million vertices/sec

whilst the 7600 has
bandwidth of 22.4 GB/sec, 6.7 pixels/sec, 700 million vertices/sec

but the 7300 has
bandwidth 10.7 GB/sec, 2.8 billion pixels/sec, 350 million vertices per sec

In my opinion the best AGP card available is the 7800 (GS, GT or GTX)... its at least twice as fast as the 7600 and faster than the ATI X1950.

54.4 GB/sec, 13.3 billion pixels/sec, 1100 million vertices/sec

X1950
ATI don't publish their performance specs in the same way as nVidia

What's your budget? ... a 7600 or X1950 will be very good but a 7800 will be better

7800GS= £90
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=411
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114346

7600GT = £85
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/121118

X1950 =£85
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119203/rb/0

Regards

Jim
I've been looking for a new graphics card as well recently and came across this advice, very helpful thanks! Have gone for the 7800GS to replace a 5500FX. Cheers!