Your first flight 'Sim'?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Your first flight 'Sim'?

Post by Garry Russell »

VEGAS wrote:
My first flight sim was an old cardboard box that my mums washing machine was delivered in, back in 1980
Ahh

A Shorts 330 'deluxe' :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Post by crisso »

I went to one of the first Computer shows at Earls Court back in '83-84 to try and decide whether to buy the C64 or the Sinclair Spectrum. I had the good fortune to meet Dave Marshall of DI who was demonstrating his Fighter Pilot F15 simulator on the Spectrum. That decided it for me!
Off to 'Boots' where they had a special offer of a free tape recorder when you purchased a 'massive memory' 48k Speccy.
That together with a joystick and 'interface' and I was ready!

(I subsequently remember with the above Fighter Pilot, it taking me about half a dozen approaches before realising that, when you dropped the flaps the throttle had to be increased to overcome the increased drag!)

I also have fond memories of going to Computer Game shows (Agricultural Hall?) somewhere near St. James Park in London where discounted games were available. I got Tau Ceti (very underrated) and Elite as well as the excellent strategy Arnhem. I also enjoyed Codename Mat as well as the excellent train driving sims Southern Belle and Evening Star.
There were some 'Turkey's' but the combat helicopter game mentioned above was excellent and also published by DI, based on the Apache.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Sublogic (later MS) FS 1 on a home-built Apple IIe. Scenery consisted of a square area with raster lines, 3 airfields and a 'mountain range' on one side. I've posted screenshots before of this, I'll see if I can find them.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Mine was also the link miles C130 at Thorney in 1974

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Mine was 'World of Flight' on the Dragon 32. Was a wire framed sim, bit like Aviator on the Beeb.

This was followed by 'Solo Flight' and 'FS1' on the C-64 and then 'FS2' on the Atari ST (was so pleased when completed my first Cross Country using the old mouse!!). First PC sim was FS4, then good old FS5.1, FS98, FS2002 and now and forever (I'm afraid) FS2004 - cant really see the point of upgrading and now spend too much money on the real thing these days.

Best wishes,

Martin

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Brilliant thread here. I used to play 'Ace of Aces' and 'Ace 2' on the C64, and later GS2000 and the classic 'Knights of the Sky' on the Amiga, the latter which I felt had a good story and was very engaging. Amazing how you could get so into solid colour landscapes and polygons.

THen of course came 'B17 Flying Fortress' from Microprose with its shaded models and great bomber management. I used to have perspex wallcharts with my crew details up on my garage wall which I would mark with a chinograph pencil and wipe off when they were KIA. Brilliant game, anyone else remember that one? I picked up B17 2 for the PC, but truth be told I don't like it as much as the original.

Someone mentioned F-29 Retaliator for the AMiga, me and my Dad used to spend many a happy evening on that...a classic. Never finished the final mission though.

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Never bought any games for my Amstrad PCWP's (or whatever they were called) so first PC sim was FS5.1 I suppose followed by GS2000.. Tornado(+Desert Storm pack) then TFX. GS2000 was a lot of fun and I liked TFX but my fave has to be Tornado. God was that hard or what! :o

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!