Self installers?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Self installers?

Post by Techy111 »

A quick question for the guys in the know ?

For some of your packages i notice you use self installers ....Are these easy to do ? Are they payware ? And do you do them yourselves?

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Self installers?

Post by forthbridge »

One of the most popular is freeware:
http://www.clickteam.com/eng/installcreator.php
Jim

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Thank you Jim....getting it now.

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Tony,

I know a few of the guys on here don't bother with them any more as they cause more confussion than normal. Largely down to folk who have a non default FS install (i.e. aircraft in different directories or folders renamed,) As you might imagine this type of setup won't work with self installers. :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

It's also true to say that folk don't trust self-installers and for a variety of reasons.. I'm one! :lol: Certain things I don't mind but I don't like aircraft self installers as I prefer to know what's in there and where it's going in case it needs to come out again :)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Hear, hear! :thumbsup:

Especially true when a gauge in the main gauge folder that works is overwritten with an older version that doesn't.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Personally I loathe them

I have had disasters with self installers.......horrid things :-(

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

There is a certain payware manufacturer who's self installers seem to like to delete your entire FSX/FS9 folder (whichever the case may be) and they won't install unless you actually point them in the right direction either, so once they're on, they aren't coming off! (Although they do make exceedingly good WWII aircraft so it can be forgiven). :lol:

I now have a paranoia about uninstalling things... HELP

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I use them for the simple reason it cuts the support emails by half :)
Most experienced simmers usually install to a temp directory first (I know I do :lol: ) but many do like the simple "click to install".
Dave G.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I guess I am firmly in the 'don't like self installers' camp for the reasons others have stated (it's sometimes a pain to get rid of AC if you decide you no longer want them in the game). :-(

However, there are a lot of FS9/X owners out there who haven't a clue when it comes to adding AC and they certainly have no clue about changing anything in the .cfg files so they need a 'one click and it's done' option to get them flying. I guess the ideal situation would be for the installer to give you the option of installing to the FS9/X directory or a directory of your choice but few do that.

Just today I hit a problem with the installer for the RAF Coningsby freeware scenery add-on. The installer actually gave me the option to change the default location but when I redirected it to the folder I use for scenery (outside the main FSX folder as I always install scenery there so that if I have to re-install FSX I can just redirect the library editor without having to re-install all the scenery too) it refused to install as it was looking for the FSX folder! :@ :brick:

I was forced into installing it into the FSX folder and once there I had to move it to my preferred location and then hit problems getting the FSX scenery library tool to see it in the new location :roll: . It took several attempts before I got it working, mind you it was worth the effort as it really makes a huge difference but I hope I don't suffer too big a drop in FPS with it as all I have managed to do so far is taxi around the peri-track and between the hangars in a Chippie looking at the eye candy! :lol:
Larry