Bristol 170 Superfreighter

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Bristol 170 Superfreighter

Post by Garry Russell »

:o In a Freighter........ :doho: ......ah you mean a :-#

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

jab
Concorde
Concorde

Post by jab »

Nice one there Garry coming alone nicey :flying: :welldone: :welldone: Did they fly these out of Lydd airport to le touquet with cars on board? :think:

James
RIP Steve Irwin :'( You was the best there ever was.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Indeed Jab

The Superfreighter was a car ferry version of the Mk.31 with the nose extended to get an extra car on board.

In that form it could take three but later when cars became smaller four could be carried.

Some were fitted out for two cars and 24 passengers in a cabin extending as far forward as the trailing edge of the wing.

The Superfreighter was built specifically for Silver City who's principal route was Lympne-Le Touquet.

Due to weather and runway problems Silver City built their own airfield at Lydd also known as Ferryfield and transferred the whole operation there.

Many other destinations were served but the Lydd-le Tourquet was there most well known and busiest.. It was operated in conjunction with a part owned French counterpart called Companie Air Transport. Several Freighters and Superfreighters were transferred and wore a basic Silver City livery with the French registration and titles.

Air Charter also ordered the Superfrieghter. Later called Channel Air Bridge six aircraft were ordered. Although they appeared at many airports, their principle route was Southend to Ostend some aircraft flying in full SABENA livery. In 1958 they required two more Superfreighters but the type was out of production.

The operated three Mk.31..(a type Silver City did not buy). Two of these aircraft G-AMSA and G-AMLP were converted to Superfreighters. The remaining aircraft G-ANMF remained as a Mk.31.

Out of 214 type 170 built the 32 Superfreighter accounted for only 20 plus the two converted but they were, in Britain and France at least, the most famous and well known of the type.

Garry
Garry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Garry that is looking better every time you post shots of it and with Frazers' panel......I'm just drooling!! :lol:

This is one hell of a classic aircraft and hopefully when released will be put straight on to the VA fleet. :prayer:

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Nigel

Certainly will go into the VA and great for those with only enough time for short flights.

Great for hands on easy VFR flying :)

Garry
Garry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

and great for those with only enough time for short flights
Suit me right down to the ground Garry!! :lol:

By the way, being a bit lazy after having a very busy shift last night, what is the flight duration / distance of this beauty?

Nigel.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

She's one beautiful aircraft, Garry. I love the short-nose version. :dancer: Are you sure this is your first model? Amazing! :welldone:

Brian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Yup Brian....first model

Nigel the range could be quite a bit with max fuel and little payload but in its working guise it was about 500-700 miles.

Typically it was about 490 but range was not important as it was built mainly for the cross channel routes with flight times of 15-20 mins and longer routes were less tha two hours.

Current work is fitting out the cockpit as so much can be seen from outside and there is more information still to source.

Garry
Garry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Garry, the flight duration is just around my attention span limit then!! :lol: :lol:

Nigel.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Yup.and it suits me in otherways

Trundling down the glidescope with plenty of time to think and you can fly her down to just where you want her.

She's comming down in the region of 90 or below with touch downs about 80 but you can hold her off to arround 60 with a light load and good flap.

Barian Horsey has done the FDE and a superb job he has done too.......she flies just like you would expect. Responsive to large control movements..... she is heavy and ponderous but positive and solid.

Fraser's panel is what you will have come to expect from him with a good visual panel that as usual has to be flown by the rules but is easy enough to learn as it behaves correctly to inputs.

I have been very lucky to have them involved with the project from the beginning and with the input of the others behind the scenes it has been very much a team project.

It's quite hard to fly it badly... :)

Garry
Garry