Return of the Welkin

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

steve p
Victor
Victor

Return of the Welkin

Post by steve p »

I posted a few WIP shots of a gmax Westland Welkin a considerable time ago. Sadly. that model is no more, having vanished in a HD failure. The last couple of months I've been working on a new one - hopefully iI'll finish this one. STUPID

Almost ready to start texturing but the leading edge radiators are proving a b#gger to blend in. The props will be refined when I figure out how to do them properly. :$

The polycount is fine...

...at the moment.

Best wishes
Steve P

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Return of the Welkin

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Very nice! Well done! :dancer:

I must show my ignorance of this mark now by admitting I had never heard of it before and had to go Googling images and text info. I had of course heard of the Whirlwind but never the Welkin. It certainly seems like a very interesting aircraft built for a specific role and your model certainly does it justice thus far.

Keep up the good work. :welldone:
Larry

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

The Welkin I believe was a high altitude version of the Whirlwind with pressurised cockpit etc to take on German high flying photo recce etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Welkin

http://avia.russian.ee/air/england/west_welkin.php
Rich

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

That's looking great :welldone:

John
never give up, never surrender

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

That is looking superb Steve, now all we need is a Vickers Windsor and we can have an RAF WW2 (1939-47 ;-) ) type of thing that the Luftwaffe developers are so keen on making. She was also a bit more than a development of the Whirlwind, as she was about twice the size!
ATB Trev

steve p
Victor
Victor

Post by steve p »

Thanks for the kind words chaps. Trev is bang on the nail with his comment about the size of the Welkin. In 1945 it was the world's largest production single-seat fighter. It had very few similarities with the Whirlwind apart from two engines, a high tailplane, and the ability to catch fire remarkably easily when force-landed. :$

Doing test flights at the moment to try and sort out the air file. Taking off from Yeovil, I hit the 40,000ft mark over the Thames Estuary, with the AI 747s trundling along 10,000ft below. :flying:

Vickers Windsor? Nah. Better off with a Vickers Type 432.

Best wishes
Steve P

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Thats looking good.........that very nearly became an Ito project a few weeks ago. I amassed a lot of material on the Welkin, but it was piped at the post by what he's currently building. I havent heard anything further to my first beta (which had no control surfaces at all). If anyone wants any Welkin material, you know where to ask....

Best wishes,

Martin

steve p
Victor
Victor

Post by steve p »

Hi Martin,

Do you have any good photos or illustrations showing clearly the Welkin carburetor intakes? This area of the airframe is not shown clearly in any of the sets of plans that I have. Also, do you have a copy of the Pilot's Notes for the type? I have the the Boscombe Down reports and a mass of Air Ministry stuff but would love to see the Notes.

Best wishes
Steve P

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

steve p wrote:Hi Martin,

Do you have any good photos or illustrations showing clearly the Welkin carburetor intakes? This area of the airframe is not shown clearly in any of the sets of plans that I have. Also, do you have a copy of the Pilot's Notes for the type? I have the the Boscombe Down reports and a mass of Air Ministry stuff but would love to see the Notes.

Best wishes
Steve P
I'll have a look this evening at home and report back.......now where did I put it all!!!

Best wishes,

Martin

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

That's a good subject and some really good modeling quality.