Heathrow

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Heathrow

Post by speedbird591 »

Garry Russell wrote:Yet every time, or nearly every time you drive you see something that if you were a few seconds earlier of if you had gone there instead of here........it goes on all the time
Roald Dahl wrote a brilliant short story about this many years ago. If I remember right it was narrated by an ex-ww2 bomber pilot who was opening up his heart after having a few drinks. The main story was his confession of 'jinking' which was his name for a game he played on a bombing run. When the bomb aimer called the target, he would sometimes kick the aircraft to left or right a bit so that the original people who would have been killed were saved. Consequently another set of people who would have survived were killed instead. It was like playing god. I think he also spoke of, when driving the car, he would put it in gear and then wait five seconds before moving off, thereby avoiding the accident that he may have otherwise had. But of course, he may now encounter one that he would have avoided if he had driven off normally deda deda deda ...

Of course, thinking like this leads to madness. Which was the whole point of the story. It was superb but I can't remember what it was called. Now I'm going to wait 30 seconds before posting this so that somebody who might have read it will now read something completely different instead :doho:

Ian :roll:

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

I read that story tomorrow :roll: :o :o

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

st george
Meteor
Meteor

Post by st george »

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

I started the bleedin thread so I can take it OFFTOPIC

Ian - I believe that the short story was included in Dahl's WW2 Anthology "Over to You" I always liked the one
that ends "Im a lucky bastard"

Leif

I will now return control of this thread to the media
:wave:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

-
Last edited by airboatr on 10 May 2008, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Joe..

I was party to a conversation yesterday which included a BA 777 engineer who'd worked on that particular aircraft a few days before the incident. It seems that no one at BA (on the shop floor at least) is aware of any detail in the AAIB's findings and they're scratching their heads much like everyone else (the engineers.. not the AAIB) :) SInce the airframe moved to engineering, AAIB have been requesting various bits for analysis/inspection and this, I suppose, will continue until they've drawn their conclusions. It's probably safe to say that the AAIB knew exactly what had happened within a few hours as will RR and Boeing.. it's the 'why' that's taking the time. Lot's of hours in the sim trying to duplicate it for someone! :cpu:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

-
Last edited by airboatr on 10 May 2008, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Good news is Joe.. there's plenty of overtime available there at the mo.. if you want to work 8-5 :lol: Bad news is they're missing the use of the airframe. Typical as it had sat idle for a fair time prior to it's ground cycle done a few days before the accident :o

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

-
Last edited by airboatr on 10 May 2008, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.