Heathrow 5

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Heathrow 5

Post by nigelb »

The BBC on this side of the pond, (both BBC America and BBC World News channels) had a fairly lengthy story last night about the rather ignominious start on the opening day of Heathrow Terminal 5. Shame as it looks like a super facility. Hopefully BA will get its act together soon.

I must say on all my visits to Heathrow I have never experienced any problems - even going through customs and security has been fairly smooth.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Heathrow 5

Post by DaveB »

Yes indeed. ITN sent a reporter there to be on the first flight out (to Paris I believe) and this left some 2hrs late and his baggage didn't arrive at Paris :o The return was also delayed.. due to baggage problems at LHR :roll: Not the best start for BA's Flagship terminal so things can only get better.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

iainp93
Viscount
Viscount

Post by iainp93 »

Luckily I'm departing from terminal 4 to Paris nex tuesday :dance:

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I just hope that this sort of 'flagship project' is better thought out when it comes to the 2012 Olympics, where the whole world will be watching. Remember the millenium fireworks??? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATB Trev

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Probably won't be ready until 2018 Trev :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

T5 is an absolute disgrace!
Complacency and complete lack of good project management and staff training is far too evident. I heard on the news tonight that disarray is to continue for a further two days with flights being cancelled to match the current, disgraceful, ability to handle passengers and baggage. Passengers will continue to be delayed during the weekend.

With the 'wobbly bridge', Wembley stadium and the dome as examples of large projects gone awry anyone who is now absolutely certain that the Olympic facilities will be faultless, on time and within budget (which revised budget will that be?) might be somewhat over-optimistic. I suspect that everyone in this country will have to find some money to pay for the work being done for this eight week international extravaganza. I hope that whatever the total costs are that they can be speedily paid off and not be a burden around our necks for years to come.

Glad not to be flying from Heathrow at present.

cjw50310
Viscount
Viscount

Post by cjw50310 »

There was a report this morning about T5 on National Public Radio, and they saw fit to finish off by playing Monty Python's "I'm so Worried". I have to confess the song came to mind about halfway through the report.
When all else fails, manipulate the data.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

It is now Saturday and the delays and cancellations continue. Why did they not just transfer to T5 a few flights first, to get the bugs sorted, perhaps confidence was replaced by arrogance in the BA management.
ATB Trev

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

calypsos wrote:I just hope that this sort of 'flagship project' is better thought out when it comes to the 2012 Olympics, where the whole world will be watching. Remember the millenium fireworks??? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
While I am certain the 2012 Olympics will have a very high world wide profile, by now most of the world will have probably heard about the Terminal 5 fiasco. A lot of people in the world watch or listen to the BBC. Unfortunate publicity for BA.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Not getting any better either

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... =1&bbcws=1

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."