A very brief flight...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

A very brief flight...

Post by petermcleland »

Bandit Enterprises have managed to find 5 crated and unused certificated Warner Super Scarab engines. These engines give about 40 more horsepower than the standard Warner Scarab engine and the Bandit project is to build an Aerobatic Team of four aircraft. I've been flying lots of airtests and they are usually very brief like this one:-

http://forum.fsscreenshots.com/dcboard. ... =full&page

There is an URL to click for a video of the flight at the bottom of the post.

Thanks for looking :flying:

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: A very brief flight...

Post by DaveB »

I like the chap standing at the hangar waving you off :lol: Simple but effective ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

:lol: Yeah Dave, he's a hangover from Red Carpet Express...They don't do much business here so BE have bought their hangar for the aeros team project...We had to keep the staff! :flying:

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Super pictures Peter and a beautiful aeroplane. :thumbsup: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thank you Eric...Yes I am growing very fond of that machine :flying:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

:o Peter
what I could do with forty more horses ... :dancer:

I'll have to be careful though... I could strech the airframe if not careful :worried:

Joe

auster
Viscount
Viscount

Post by auster »

Peter,

That looks to be a superb aeroplane. I must get it in my hangar. How you manage to control it so well throughout the landing phase, beats me. Brilliant!

Just one little point. What would have happened to you if, during your service days, you had started up an aicraft engine inside a hangar?

Just wondering.

Ralph

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Superb sequence, as always Peter. Thanks for sharing.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

auster wrote:Just one little point. What would have happened to you if, during your service days, you had started up an aicraft engine inside a hangar?

Just wondering.
Hi Ralph,

I can think of one aeroplane that in certain circumstances HAD to be started in the hangar :) However, I don't believe I ever started any other type, while inside...Don't think that would have gone down very well.

In windy conditions the early Sycamores had to be started and the rotor run up INSIDE the hangar...The reason was that they were not fitted with the centifrugal "Droop Stops" that later models had. The result of running up the rotor of one of these early models in a moderate wind, was that the into wind blade would rise and then fall again on the other side as it went downwind...With no droop stops fitted this retreating blade would droop so low that it would chop off the tail.

We also started the later models in the hangar if we were to adjust the trimming tabs on the rotor blades to "Track the Rotor"...The three blades were heavily marked, at the very tips, with chinagraph pencil. A different colour for each blade. Then the engine was started and the rotor run up.

A brave airman, equipped with a white canvas flag stretched tight between two lugs on a pole, would slowly advance holding the pole vertical with the flag at the same height as the spinning rotor blades...At some point there would be a "BBBRRRRRP" noise as the rotor buzzed the edge of the flag...The airman would immediately retreat and the aircraft would be shut down.

The canvas flag was then examined and the three different coloured marks would show where each blade struck the flag...A perfectly "Tracked" rotor would place all three colours at the same height and the marks on the flag would all be close to superimposed. If a blade was flying a bit high then its Trimming Tab would be bent a few thousandths of an inch (using a Dial Test Indicator) in the appropriate direction to bring its mark back down to the others.

The whole procedure would then be repeated to check results until the rotor was properly "Tracked".

Well that's a long complicated answer to a simple question Ralph but I bet all that is new to practically everyone here, except perhaps Skippy Bing :)

Anyway, the real answer to your question Ralph, is that in my day, if I had started in the hangar, done aerobatics at the heights I do them, and in close proximity to traffic...Then I would have been court martialed and thrown out.

However, this is Flight Sim and I own McLeland Field, so I tend to do what I like there :lol: :lol: :dancer:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Oo-er..

That sounds like a rather tricky procedure Peter and here we are at Brooklands unable to ascend a ladder more than 6ft high due to H&S :roll:

Interesting recollection and something very new to me ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!