Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ammo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

GeForce 6200 256Mb PCI problems with Vista

Post by ammo »

Hi all,

I have a little problem.......... HELP

Just bought a 256Mb GeForce 6200 PCI card as I had only on-board graphics. Installed it, ran the CD for drivers - says it was "incompatable". Hmm, obviously had'nt met my first wife...... Anyway, tried installing more up to date drivers from PNY/NVidia - none of them worked. Did a complete clear-out of bits of old drivers (as you do), re-installed - still no joy.

I am running Vista 32-bit, so all these drivers "should work".........ok, ok, stop laughing now...

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading this

Steve

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: GeForce 6200 256Mb PCI problems with Vista

Post by TSR2 »

Hi mate... never user the drivers on the CD, download the latest from ww.nvidia.com :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

oops, just read "PCI" was thinking you meant PCIe. You might struggle with that mate. PCI for graphics is a pretty old format

ImageImageImage

ammo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ammo »

Hi,

The box does say "compatable with vista"

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I'm pretty sure the 6000 series cards had been killed off before or just after vista. It might be worth upgrading your BIOS incase its not beeing seen correctly. Have you disabled the onboard card in the bios and changed the bios graphics settings acordingly?

ImageImageImage

ammo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ammo »

XR219 wrote:I'm pretty sure the 6000 series cards had been killed off before or just after vista. It might be worth upgrading your BIOS incase its not beeing seen correctly. Have you disabled the onboard card in the bios and changed the bios graphics settings acordingly?
Hiya,

I bought the card a couple of weeks ago from Misco - think it's shown on the last page of their current catalogue.

I have disabled the onboard card and also changed from onboard to PCI in BIOS.

I am running out of ideas....

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mate. I'd definately try upgrading the PC BIOS.

Can I ask what may seem a daft question. Was the onboard card one of the intel graphics accelerator types?

If so you need to uninstall that and reboot. I've had problems in the past were the onboard card drivers were not uninstalled and so the new addon card drivers would not work properly. That was on XP, but I guess the same might be true now on Vista.

Can I ask what the make / model of PC is?

Cheers

ImageImageImage

ammo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ammo »

XR219 wrote:Hi Mate. I'd definately try upgrading the PC BIOS.

Can I ask what may seem a daft question. Was the onboard card one of the intel graphics accelerator types?

If so you need to uninstall that and reboot. I've had problems in the past were the onboard card drivers were not uninstalled and so the new addon card drivers would not work properly. That was on XP, but I guess the same might be true now on Vista.

Can I ask what the make / model of PC is?

Cheers
I'm not by the pc at present so I don't have info on the exact model - sorry. The comp is a Zoostorm and I have added some extra RAM to make it 2GB. Bit of a weird specced machine actually - has 1 PCI slot, 1 x DDR2 slot AND 1 x DDR slot !

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

From comments on the Dabs site
http://www.dabs.com/ProductReviews.aspx?quicklinx=4CQQ
this should work in Vista.

Have you tried the Nvidia tool on the site that "Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products. "

I used this for a very old PCI card and it identified it correctly, so a more modern card should be found.