Gauge programming - a chore?

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PhilipsCDRW
Meteor
Meteor

Gauge programming - a chore?

Post by PhilipsCDRW »

I'm just wondering what you developer types think about gauge programming.

I had no idea what was involved until about a week ago,when I installed the Simufly CIVA INS in some aircraft, found I really didn't like the default 737 switches on one of the peripheral panels, and decided to make my own switches using the CIVA SDK and bitmaps reverse-engineered (ripped?) from the aircraft's panel. (It was payware, I wasn't going to distribute any gauge made using those bitmaps!) I quickly found it was a lot more complicated than I expected, but I like C++ and merrily started to try to compile stuff. After much subdued swearing and keyboard-punching, and a healthy dose of RTFMing, I was approaching the point where I might have been able to make a working gauge - when my PC suddenly ran out of working cooling fans...

Thankfully, I'd put a few SDKs and tutorials onto my PDA, so I could keep on reading and learning, and I'd got this ancienct 380MHz K6 the day before and put some Linux distros onto disk literally hours before my main PC died - so I'm still able to get online to i.e. order cooling fans and read SDKs!

Anyway, from my newb standpoint, gauge programming looks like it could be a lot of fun - there's a load of ideas I want to try out when I get my main PC back together! But it also seems to be a rapid path to wanting to smash your PC with a breezeblock. So I'm curious - how do you folks who make these brilliant 3D models, textures, flight dynamics etc approach the creation of gauges?
PhilipsCDRW

hinch
VC10
VC10

Re: Gauge programming - a chore?

Post by hinch »

I'm no master for sure, but the XML gauge creation in FS9 or FSX is the easiest and quickest way for me. It is by its nature limited but some developers have taken it a long way and Microsoft have many functions built in that go mostly un-used.

I don't use XML so often (of course it's like learning a whole new language each time depending on the schema) but the FS SDK makes it much easier and I've found making simple gauges can be done in an hour or so.

jesse_skyunlimited
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by jesse_skyunlimited »

I think xml is the way to go for someone learning. I know some basics of gauge creation, and have worked on a few xml gauges without much difficulty. If you are a modeler the real future is probably in 3D gauges. Of all of the skills to learn in fs, gauge programming is probably the most needed. I know I have looked for years before finally finding a very good designer to work for us, and that was only a couple of weeks ago lol. I am always looking for good gauge designers.
Owner and Operator
SkyUnlimited Productions
http://www.skyunlimited.net/

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Jesse,

CBFS is a site dedicated to freeware British aircraft and has dedicated 'Payware Heads-Up' and 'Classic Non British' forums.

You have a link to your business on your signature and members can follow that link if they choose but please do not hint at your products or the fact that you may be recruiting on the freeware forums.

Hope you read this in the sense that it was written ;-)

ATB,

Derek :)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

jesse_skyunlimited
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by jesse_skyunlimited »

Sorry did not realize the Developers Forum was dedicated to freeware only, and I actually do have some freeware planes I will be releasing eventually :-). I am sure I will have lessons to learn as I get used to the new boards. I hope you see my intentions were for encouragement.
Owner and Operator
SkyUnlimited Productions
http://www.skyunlimited.net/