UKMIL Nimrod MR4 released at 'all nodes'

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PeteH
Viscount
Viscount

Re: UKMIL Nimrod MR4 released at 'all nodes'

Post by PeteH »

It might be the way my system is set up but I have to say that I have no problems with portovers other than work needed on the props and glass in some cases. Panels are another problem but not always. In fact if you can do without the VC the old Alphasim Typhoon with the 2D panel from Dave Hanvey's Tempest is a blinder. But then I do a lot of thrashing around the sky in flyby mode.

On the other hand I find that "pure" FSX planes can run quite a bit slower. The Beaufighter being a case in point. OK so there is a lot more in them, complex animations, fantastic VC, bump mapping etc. but not so good if what you get is a highly detailed slideshow. Fortunately the Beaufighter runs well enough for me to enjoy it.

Might just be my perception but converting the textures to DDS gives some improvement.

Pete
Thinking does not necessarily make it so.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Fair comments both ;-)

I tend not to use FSX a great deal and as for full 'SDK Built' models.. these still seem few and far between.. outside the default which I don't use. I'd willingly use full FSX versions of all my FS9 ported models but I doubt very much that many (if any) will ever reach that dizzy height ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

if you think the MRA4 is an ugly bird, get this one, this is a pure ficticous Nimrod we have for our NIMOPS VA at UKMIL. it is the nimrod Last Star model

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Now that really IS ugly! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

DaveB wrote:Wasn't the 3's radar too darned sensitive (unlikely as that may seem)?? Target recognition was near to impossible as anything with a vague metal content was being displayed :think: Dunno.. it's been a while now :cpu:
Just a final OT observation on this, as I happened to be working as a Marconi engineer at the time of the AEW Nimrod development (although on a different project).

Dave B is the closest to the truth. Basically the Operational Requirement changed during development: originally, the requirement was for the naval AEW environment, with a secondary overland capability and the avionics (particularly the GEC-Marconi computers) were sized for this - essentially tracking many thousands of targets simultaneously.

When the requirement changed to encompass full Central Front Europe, the system was overloaded tracking millions of cars. There was a last-ditch attempt to save the system by screening out targets going below 70 kt but it wasn't really successful.

Essentially the AEW Nimrod failed due to "requirements creep". BAe recognised this first and gave up on it, but GEC tried to keep it going for another year or two but eventually it became obvious that the only way to save it was to start again - impossible in the timescale and incredibly costly.

Throughout this, there was no question that the airframe and engine were anything other than fit for purpose. It's a shame that the aeroplane's name was tarnished in the public eye for what was a purely avionics issue with one variant.