payware success?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Town
Viscount
Viscount

Re: payware success?

Post by Town »

Yes I understand Michael, but then you are into that old nutshell of how much do you need to change on something before you have altered it significantly enough not to infringe the original authors copyright. The courts have argued this one for decades if not longer. It does get quite silly when people start trying to charge for a changed serial number though!

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

Town wrote:Yes I understand Michael, but then you are into that old nutshell of how much do you need to change on something before you have altered it significantly enough not to infringe the original authors copyright. The courts have argued this one for decades if not longer. It does get quite silly when people start trying to charge for a changed serial number though!
I think the term is "so far as reasonably practicable", its quite a common term but leaves almost everything its applied to open to differing interpritation LOL, ascertaining copyright as far as is reasonably practicable is a good way to waste a lot of tax payers money and put a lot into the hands of lawyers, I dont know where they draw the line, is it a percentage, if so a percentage of what, effort expended or changes to the work.

Best

Michael

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I suppose it depends on how clever you want to make yourself look :lol: All of the VC9 repaints I did for the VA were different in some respect or other.. the odd couple took rather more work.. quite a lot in fact but that said, I put the paints down to me followed by the words.. from a Garry Russell Master. Garry did the paintkits for me so it was only right I included him. I suppose that sounds generous but it also made sure I made the end result as good as I could make it at the time as I didn't want Garry's name associated with crud :lol:

I've looked at a couple since and winced mind you. As the old saying goes.. you're only as good as your last work :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

PushinPolys
Meteor
Meteor

Post by PushinPolys »

I suppose it is down to definition. A re-paint or is it a new texture with new panel lines etc. In my opinion a re-paint is exactly that-a complete re paint not using ANY layers or textures from the original because if you do and say just change the badges or tail code or even if you change the camouflage or colour scheme but still use some layers from the original i.e. the panel lines or weathering or decals even for a template you are NOT the original author so cannot claim it as your sole work and also the original texture artist must be credited as well. Not that most of us give a flying hoot but it is a point to bear in mind next time a publisher bans you from doing repaints of their subjects. I totally agree that re-paints do increase sales and the longevity of a product but remember the original author could also do them and post elsewhere and achieve the same results so to assume that the modeller/publisher is eternally grateful and should give models away to some who think they are the be-all-and end-all of the repaint world is in my opinion absurd. Mind you I would give any of my models to the likes of Remmi, Frank Safranek, RS Gunner, Pierrre Lheureux amongst others who I admire their work considerably but again that is personal choice and also personal opinions and is not meant to have a "pop" any anybody unless you feel guilty or take exception to my point of view. We are also of course talking about commercial releases and not freeware as that is a different matter and also should not be referenced in this thread which I believe did state pay ware success in the pay ware forum. The Hawk is a classic as far as re-paints go and if Rick decides to help or even give a sample to someone he chooses to do some repaints that is his prerogative
Just my opinion and ramble. Now where is me Vodka :drinkers:

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

I have no control on who gets a free copy. (or very little control)

Not even Dave B has had a free one yet :$ (soon!) :RN:

I am the modeler but Skysim are marketing the product.

Even i have to activate the Hawk to be able to use it.
(I actually had to buy it then get refunded so i was 100% sure i was on the release version if any problems arise)

thats the only way i can be sure that the protected files stay protected for as long as possible.

ie: there is no model out there without security modelled in

Rick

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mark..

I'd agree with your definition of a repaint though reference to the freeware Vanguard is still very much relevant given that so many 'repaints' are little more than a giggle here and a bit of dirt there. Unless a bod has started from scratch and made his own paintkit.. credit should also go to the original author of the paint.

Whatever.. as Rick pointed out, none of the Hawk development team got a freebie to the best of my knowledge so the argument that freebies should be kicked out at will to painters is, I feel, a little above and beyond the realms of reality. Surely.. if the painters are that keen on the model, a few bob to purchase it isn't too unreasonable ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

TBH this is not a subject for a public forum

If a painter of a group feels that they can contribute to a commercial venture by offereing free paints then it is up to that painter to contact the devloper and suggest it

To come on a forum and imply that they feel that they should have a freebie is just boasting how good they feel they are.

This is not a payware heads up and this is a freeware support site.

Too many times lately this forum is being used as a doormat to address third party issues.

A point of interest maybe but no more than that.

In short if any freeware paints have been done and are ready then that warrants a post here........until then it really has nothing to do with us but does drag us into an arguement, or debate in this case, that we have no part of.

This seems to be going on now longer than it should have.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :)

Yup.. I guess you're right. Much of what has been said since the original post has gone off on one a wee bit though still connected in a roundabout way :lol: Re the original question.. well we've heard from all quarters including the seller and it would seem that the Hawk is very much a success so question answered :) Considering it's not long out of the hangar.. to ask if it has been a success is premature anyway as sales are probably still bouyant. My guess is that the reason zillions of paints haven't already hit the sites is that attempts to pirate it have been unsuccessful so those that have it are the ones that want to fly it. My theory and mine alone so not worthy of further debate.. enough of which we've already had me thinks ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

Garry Russell wrote:TBH this is not a subject for a public forum

If a painter of a group feels that they can contribute to a commercial venture by offereing free paints then it is up to that painter to contact the devloper and suggest it

To come on a forum and imply that they feel that they should have a freebie is just boasting how good they feel they are.

This is not a payware heads up and this is a freeware support site.

Too many times lately this forum is being used as a doormat to address third party issues.

A point of interest maybe but no more than that.

In short if any freeware paints have been done and are ready then that warrants a post here........until then it really has nothing to do with us but does drag us into an arguement, or debate in this case, that we have no part of.

This seems to be going on now longer than it should have.

Garry
It is a bloody good read though Garry. :thumbsup:
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

Christhekeeper
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Christhekeeper »

Could be that sales will be boosted following the top rating of 95/100 in latest PC Pilot magazine (Sep/Oct issue) received today, with a glowing report and the hawk decorating the front cover of the mag too. Congratulations :welldone: Rick & all at Skysim. Birthday next week so maybe it'll be a present and I'll get to fly it. :)
Chris